Textkit Logo

De desponsatione filii regis

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

De desponsatione filii regis

Postby TonyLoco23 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Working my way through Gesta Romanorum, what is this one about:

140. De desponsatione filii regis.

Filius quippe regis Ierusalem desponsavit sibi filiam regis Babylonis acceptamque tradidit erudiendam atque ornandam sub manu custodis. Ipse vero abiit instruere convivium. Quam denuo reversus cum ingenti apparatu maximoque cultu instellatum introducet thalamum secum ad nuptias ornatores sponsae ducens in palatium, eius vero corruptores tradens in carceris supplicium.

http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/tchmat/readers/gr/gr14.html

The last sentence I am having trouble with, particularly because I cannot find a meaning for "instellatum", it is not in Whitakers Words. Anyway here is my poor translation attempt:

Of the Betrothment of the Son of the King

(Certainly) the son of the King of Jerusalem betrothed to himself the daughter of the King of Babylon, he handed her over to the care of custodians for her education and dressing up (ornandum?). Then he himself went off to organize the banquet. He once again returned with an inmodestly large preperation of the cult of stars (instellatum??) he lead in the wedding with him to the marriage procession (ornatores?) of the bride, leading into the palace, handing over his corrupters to the punishment of jail.

Also I cannot make out what "quam" is doing at the start of that difficult last sentence. Is it the accusative of "that"? In which case is it just "quam thalamum"? That wedding??? God this is hard.
TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Re: De desponsatione filii regis

Postby adrianus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 am

Maybe this, TonyLoco23 // Fortassè hoc, Antoni Vesane Vicesime Terti;

"He however went off to plan the feast. [And here's what he plans:] As soon as he returns back, when he will be conducting [everyone] into the star-spangled wedding chamber with huge pomp and the grandest splendour, though leading to the wedding his wife's dressers into the palace with him, in truth he will be delivering his corruptors to torture chambers."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby adrianus » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:01 pm

TonyLoco23 wrote:God this is hard.

I think that differences in style and idiom, not just grammar, over such a long period of time can make some latin seem very hard to read. The same would apply to any language,—English, for instance, but people don't normally try to digest English from different periods in the same way as they try to digest Latin from different periods as here. Same for people. The older we get, the more difficult we can get.

By the way, I don't know that my translation is right (seldom do I, I have to say); it's just the best I can think of at the moment.

Varietates latinitatis idiomatisque (separatim mutationes grammatistae) per tam multas aetates, latinam linguam difficiliorem aliis videri faciunt, vel nonnunquàm sic facere possible est. Idem praeter omnes linguas non minùs anglicam dicatur; eadem autem non solent quaerere interpretationes locorum tam longiùs diversas per aevum. Et pro nobis: quantùm seniores fimus, tantùm rixosi.

Nescio obiter an rectum responsum meum suprà donatum (verò rarò scio, fateor); modò alternum me fugat
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby parjanya » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:15 pm

I chased some other copy of the text, just in case, and I found this:

Filius quippe regis Hierusalem desponsavit sibi flliam regis Babylonis, acceptamque tradidit erudiendam, atque ornandam sub manu custodis; ipse vero abiit instruere convivium, quoniam denuo reversus cum ingenti apparatu maximoque cultu installatum introducet thalamum secum ad nuptias, sponsae ornatores ducens in palatium, ejus vero corruptores tradens in carceris supplicium.

from "Patrologiae cursus completus: sive biblioteca universalis ..., Volume 157", I can't send you the link because i'm still on trial ; ).

Indeed, the son of the king of Jerusalem married the Babylon king's daughter and, when she arrived, she was sent to be instructed and adorned, under the supervision of the eunuch (!! sic Lewis & Short...). He himself went to organize the feast, that (quoniam) when he came back again, with a large (ingens), magnificent (apparatūs) and splendid garment (cultūs), he led [her] along with himself to the prepared (? installatus) bedchamber, leading the officers (ornator) of the bride into the palace [and], indeed, delivering her (eius) seducers (? corruptor) to the supplice of jail

Niermeyer Mediae latinitatis lexicon: installare (< stallus): to install in a prebend. (what does that mean?)
(no stallus, but:) stallum: 1. stall in a market 2. dues paid for stalls in a market 3. choir-stall 4. residence.

About the instellatum, search for "unum cœlum agnoscit, quod instellatum", that will give you: Damascenus (...) ubi supra firmamentum et coelum stellatum solum unum coelum agnoscit, quod instellatum, seu stellis expertem vocat.
parjanya
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin