Latinum course - D'ooge

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Meep
Textkit Neophyte

Latinum course - D'ooge

Post by Meep »

I've ordered the D'OOGE - LATIN FOR BEGINNERS DVD from the Latinum site. I looked at the FAQ section on the site to see how to approach things, but it doesn't mention where D'ooge fits in. It goes on about the Adler course.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is learning Latin using Latinum, and could give me some advice on how I should approach things.

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latinum course - D'ooge

Post by ivanus »

I think Latinum does a great job of making a wide range of material available. In my experience, there is so much information that the challenge becomes knowing where to begin. The approach that I have taken as been to use the audio (and now videos on youtube and dvd) as supplemental materials to keep latin in mind and to train my ear for the language.

I use Lingua Latina, per se Illustrata as a reader because the puzzle of the language captures my interest and keeps me reading. When I get bored with the chapter I'm on, I usually keep reading and am surprised by how much of the story I can follow, if only in broad terms.

D'ooge, for me, is to fill in the gaps and provide the full framework on the grammar.

I've taken this approach because I don't have a lot of time so spend each day on Latin. So, I have to follow what interests me or it's not going to last. So, for me, I leave the formal grammar for last and focus on the reading and dictionary, followed by audio and video.