Textkit Logo

Working out of North and Hilliard; some questions

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Working out of North and Hilliard; some questions

Postby Quis ut Deus » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Salvete omnes!

I've been working out of the North and Hilliard composition book provided on this website and I'd just like to say thank to you for making this resource available! Having an answer key is awesome.

I just have a few questions about synonyms.

1. abeo vs. discedo

I've noticed that when I use one, they use the other. Are these words, at least for someone at my level, basically interchangeable?

2. redeo vs. regredior vs. revertor

Example: Exercise 37.5

I wrote:

Novem post annis nocte domum redii.

They used regressus sum.

Then there have been times where I've used regredior and they used redeo

So, am I safe to use these words interchangeably or is there some fine difference that I should be aware of?

Gratias vobis ago!
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Re: Working out of North and Hilliard; some questions

Postby adrianus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:30 pm

I believe they are properly synonyms and can be swopped for each other. But I say that out of ignorance of subtle distinctions.
Justa synonyma sunt. Inter se permutari possunt, nisi fallor. Id autem dico quod discrimina arguta ignoro.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Working out of North and Hilliard; some questions

Postby Quis ut Deus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:12 am

Adriane,

Multas gratias tibi ago!

Vale
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Latin