nimis vs. nimium

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
whalenburns
Textkit Neophyte

nimis vs. nimium

Post by whalenburns »

Hello,
I was wondering if there is a rule for using nimis instead of nimium and vice versa. I was thinking that one would be used to describe adjectives and one to describe verbs (nimis/nimia stultus est vs nimia/nimis errat); however, i cannot find the example sentences that convinced me of this.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: nimis vs. nimium

Post by adrianus »

I don't now of any difference between the adverbs "nimis" and "nimiùm" and don't see one in L&S and OLD, but I don't know much.
Discrimen inter "nimis" et "nimiùm" adverbia ignoro nec in OLD nec in L&S reperio, sed multa ignoro.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

According to Whitaker's "Words"-programme both "nimium" and "nimis" are adverbs. I cannot furnish any sample sentences, but two entries in the dictionary "Vocabulary of High School Latin" by Gonzalez Lodge may be helpful:
1151. nimis. Caes.—(vii. 36, 5). Cic. i. 3; iv. 13 bis; P. T, A. 28. Adv. too, too much. Cf. nimius.
1152. nimius, -a, -um [nimis]. Caes.—(vii. 29, 4). Cic. i. 10; III. 7; 10; 22; P. 23. V. IV. 657 (ties). Adj.too much, excessive. Nimium as adv. = nimis.
According to Lodge, at least, nimium and nimis can be used interchangeably as adverbs while nimius, -a, -um (including a different type of nimium) is used as an adjective. I hope that I interpreted this correctly.
I hope this helps,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

whalenburns
Textkit Neophyte

Post by whalenburns »

thanks, guys