Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Post by oberon »

I have an M.A. in classical languages but I spent most of my time on Greek, and it has been some time since I really concentrated on Latin. I have several textbooks, I have Sihler and Buck's Comparative Grammar of Latin and Greek, and I have Woodcock's New Latin Syntax. However, I am looking for THE most comprehensive Grammar and the most comprehensive lexicon of Latin in English, German, or French. Any ideas?

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Re: Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Post by Didymus »

Grammars: Kühner-Stegmann (Ausführliche Grammatik der lateinischen Sprache, 2 parts in 3 volumes) and Leumann-Hoffmann-Szantyr (Lateinische Grammatik, 3 volumes [vol. 3 = index]) are the indispensable Latin grammars. If you are doing very serious philological work you'll need to consult both.

Lexica: The Thesaurus Linguae Latinae (TLL) is the gold standard -- unfortunately it does not meet your criterion of being written in English, French, or German (it's in Latin). With the recent completion of P (N, however, is not complete), this covers 2/3 of Latin. For what isn't covered you'll want to consult a combination of Forcellini (Totius Latinitatis Lexicon ...), Lewis and Short, and the Oxford Latin Dictionary. The German Georges may also prove useful on occasion.

Etymology (while we're at it ...): Walde-Hoffmann, Lateinisches etymologisches Wörterbuch remains a primary resource, but where Michael de Vaan's new Etymological Dictionary of Latin and the Other Italic Languages covers the word in question, it of course supersedes Walde-Hoffmann. It's just that you may very well not find the word you need in de Vaan.

Historical Grammars: Replace Sihler (a work that linguists have long loved to complain about) with Michael Weiss, Outline of the Historical and Comparative Grammar of Latin.

oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Post by oberon »

Thanks! I'll get the checkbook...