Textkit Logo

Please criticise my pronunciation

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Please criticise my pronunciation

Postby Hampie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 pm

I’ve read one of the chapters in LL aloud and recorded it, and I would like to hear what I can make better in my pronunciation. Well, that’s basically it :P. I’ve uploaded the mp3-file with my reading here.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?
Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: Please criticise my pronunciation

Postby Alatius » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:34 am

Thank you! I like it; very clear pronunciation. (Maybe too clear! But that is only natural when reciting like this. :)) What follows is mostly some nitpickings:

Take care not to lengthen stressed syllables. For example, at 0:54 you say proppe. (But I think you know that.)

You sometimes give an accent to the last syllable. For example, at 2:35 and following: portánt * 2, ambulát, portánt, ambulánt. Compare with the much better pórtat at 2:57 (but again wrongly portánt at 3:06). Teachers sometimes stress the endings when reciting the paradigms (that is, to stress the differences), a practice I very much dislike since it teaches the wrong stress patterns. Watch out for that; I think it's your main fault.

Short vowels in bŏnus, mălus.

I'm not sure, but it sometimes sound to me like you pronounce equum with three syllables (e.g. at 8:13, *"ē-ku-um"?). Better ĕ-kwum.

10:12 amīcus! amīce!
Alatius
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin