the majesty of multiplicity

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

afternoon (alter as necessary) all,

couldn't help but noticing that posts are created far too rarely here, so i thought i ought create one.

it's brief and perhaps even borders on miniscular, but there is a competitive (that's right episocus/benissimus inter alia) edge to it.

if we take the verb incendo to mean "i burn" (trans.), please could i have FIVE different translations of the grammatical form

INCENDERE

That is, there are five instances in the full conjugation of this verb where incendere is a possible form. hint: the infinitive is one ;)

go to it,

~dave

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

pres. infin. incendere
pass 2nd pers pres sing. incendere
pass 2nd pers. imp. incendere
pass 2nd pers fut. incendere
3rd person plural perfect (courtesy of bennissimus)

Nice topic, and pleasing to see you posting is it
Last edited by Episcopus on Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

infinitive
third person plural perfect active
second person singular present passive
second person singular future passive?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lisa »

Hi all,

Keep in mind that if you mark the quantity of the penultimate "e", you distinguish two of the forms (the two alternate ending forms of the future indicative passive and perfect indicative active) from the other three. The five forms really aren't identical, but I can see where there would be a problem if your text does not mark accents.

Best,
Lisa

PS: Always include the mood when you conjugate! what happens is that one becomes so immersed in the indicative at the start, that one thinks of this as the "default" mood. Forgetting to indicate the mood is indicative is a common problem when you conjugate on a quiz or a test. Take it from someone who has graded a few tests. ;)

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Salient points Lisa!

magna tibi ad propositum Perseum gratia habenda!

A thousand thankyous.

~dave

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

D'oh! I always forget the passive imperatives :( And yes, Lisa, it can be very bad to forget the four different levels of parsing...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yes can I say, I did notice that too :lol: As D'Ooge marks all and emphasises the differences between accents long and short I felt this to be somewhat dodgy for the words were not, as quite rightly stated above, identical.
Anyhow a sweet exercise. Exerciti sumus bene!!