Textkit Logo

Confused about Section 551c in A & G

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Confused about Section 551c in A & G

Postby Quis ut Deus » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Confundor de hac re in sectione 551c libri Allen et Greenough.

Dixit anglice "Antequam and priusquam when referring to future time, take the Present or Future Perfect Indicative; rarely the Present Subjunctive"

Haec exempla dedit:

Priusquam de ceteris rebus respondeo, de amicitia pauca dicam.

respondeo=present

Non defatigabor antequam illorum ancipites vias percepero.

defatigabor=future

Antequam veniat litteras mittet

veniat=SUBJUNCTIVE

Cur subjunctivus si rarus est?
Last edited by Quis ut Deus on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Re: Confused about Section 551c in A & G

Postby furrykef » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Quis ut Deus wrote:Confundor de hac re in sectionem 551c libri Allen et Greenough

Surely that should be "sectione"? I also think you singled out the wrong verb in the second sentence. Instead of "dēfatigābor = future" you should have "percēperō = future perfect".

Anyway, I'm not really qualified to comment, but my guess is that it was just to emphasize that the subjunctive is possible, even though it's rare. A lot of things that are 'rare' are things you will still encounter. I remember a Spanish-teaching website said that the Spanish pronoun "ello" (as opposed to él, ellos, etc.) is "rare", but it's still encountered frequently -- just not nearly as often as the other pronouns.

For what it's worth, Spanish actually requires the subjunctive in similar constructions (except when the subject of the subordinate clause and the main clause are the same; in that case, the infinitive is preferred). The last Latin sentence in Spanish would be, "Antes de que venga, mandará una carta." (But preferred: "Antes de venir...") French and Italian apparently follow the same rules as Spanish here, too. Maybe the use of the subjunctive here is a Vulgar Latin influence or something.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
I also have a lang-8 journal where I practice Spanish and Japanese.
furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Confused about Section 551c in A & G

Postby Quis ut Deus » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:18 pm

Furrykef,

Surely it should! Correction made.

As for the A&G example, it's kind of hard to see a sudden exception brought up in Latin without an explanation!

In Spanish (or any other spoken language) it's easy because you hear it so often that it just gets ingrained and eventually you stop thinking about it and just do it.

But your example in Spanish and reference to Vulgar Latin definitely helped put that example into perspective.

Gratias et vale!
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Latin