interrogative enclitic -ne...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Swth\r
Textkit Fan

interrogative enclitic -ne...

Post by Swth\r »

In double questions the enclitic particle -ne is used instead of "utrum". So, say we have the following example:

Utrum hodie mavis abire an cras?

Which sentence is correct (or more proper) if using -ne?

Hodiene mavis abire an cras?

or

Mavisne hodie abire an cras?

Or what else?

Thanks!
Dives qui sapiens est...

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: interrogative enclitic -ne...

Post by adrianus »

I would support the first because it follows the rule that enclitic ne attaches to the most important word. Unless you think the verb is!

Ego primum adjuvo, quod hanc regulam sequatur: ne encliticum ad vocabulum gravissimum adjungitur. Nisi tu gravissimum aestimas verbum!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

CHAMÆLEO
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CHAMÆLEO »

Indeed, it depends on the emphasis.

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Post by metrodorus »

Unless my memory is failing me, the -ne is usually attached to the verb. When it is attached to a noun, negativity is implied, but not as strongly as with num.
I run http://latinum.org.uk which provides the Adler Audio Latin Course, other audio materials, and additional free materials on YouTube.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

metrodorus wrote:Unless my memory is failing me...
This may help: A&G §332.
Hoc memoriam adjuvet: A&G §332.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

metrodorus wrote:When it is attached to a noun, negativity is implied, but not as strongly as with num.
I have to wonder if that has less to do with the nature of "-ne" itself and more to do with the general nature of questions that need the emphasis shifted onto another element in the first place. Compare "Is he coming tomorrow?" (Venitne crās?) and "Is he coming tomorrow?" (Crāsne venit?) -- we probably ask questions like the latter most often we don't want or expect them to be true.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

furrykef wrote:Compare "Is he coming tomorrow?" (Venitne crās?) and "Is he coming tomorrow?" (Crāsne venit?) -- we probably ask questions like the latter most often we don't want or expect them to be true.
That's not the case at all, furrykef, I would say. "Crasne venit?" is just a question of fact, unless you would make it otherwise by your tone of voice. It's interesting, I think, that A&G say verb + "-ne" ("venitne?" ) often implies "nonnè" ("nonnè venit?")"

Non par ratio est, furrykef, meo judicio. Ea quaestio, "Crasne venit?" enim, tantùm factum spectat, nisi per tonum vocis aliter denotes. Quod A&G dicunt "venitne" vim "nonnè" adverbii habere mihi curae est.