English to and from Latin automatic translation?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: English to and from Latin automatic translation?

Post by Hampie »

Anthony Appleyard wrote:Is there an English to and from Latin autotranslator?
I hope not. Automatic translators have a tendency to produce the most awful results.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

Imber Ranae
Textkit Member

Post by Imber Ranae »

Yes, but they're worthless.
Ex mala malo
bono malo uesci
quam ex bona malo
malo malo malo.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

BUT IF there were an automatic translation 'machine' what good would it do one to study Latin?
Would one not tend to become reliant upon it and thereby not exercising their mind?
Again, man would become dependant upon another machine instead of thinking for himself. :(
Excuse me while I get off of my tread mill!
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Your brain is the auto-translator. All you need to do is program it the right way.

ericaceae
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ericaceae »

The last Latin auto-translator I used I literally laughed myself silly reading through the results. Of course, it didn't help that I was running through a text that had clearly gone through one of those scanner text-reader programs so there were some instances where "u" became "ii" and vice versa and similar transcription problems that just compounded the errors. But still.

On the other hand, I've used some Spanish to English autotranslators that came up with comprehensible results--but even those you have to take with a grain of salt and keep your wits about you! While I agree it's no substitute for actually learning a language, they can be handy when you're hunting a piece of information and the only place you can find it happens to be in Spanish or French or Norwegian or whatever and you need the gist of a text to see if you're looking in the right place.