Textkit Logo

phrase

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

phrase

Postby COPLAND 3 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:43 pm

I am having trouble with this phrase, can anyone clarify it for me by translating it. It is a comment from Nicholas of Lyra concerning 1 Thessalonians 2:2, specifically about "sicut scitis/as you know".

sicut scitis: quia hoc no suit longe a ciuitate vestra, ideo sub.

The whole verse of 2:2 is "Instead, having previously suffered and been treated shamefully, as you know, at Philippi, we had confidence in our God, so as to speak the Gospel of God to you with much solicitude."

Thank you!!
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Re: phrase

Postby ptolemyauletes » Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 am

Two queries... 'no' and 'suit'
I am guessing this is supposed to read 'non' and 'sit'?

I think the passage might be translated thusly: Since this is not far from your city...
It seems to be explaining the 'as you know' - they know because it happened nearby to them... does that make sense?
I think the 'ideo sub' is simply short hand for 'It was done for this reason' - basically your commentator saying why 'sicut scitis' is in the passage, just like in the other post you made. It is short for 'ideo subditur'
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.
ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin