short sentence

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

short sentence

Post by COPLAND 3 »

This is found in the glossa, and I was wondering if I could get this translated. The only word that I am not sure whether I transcribed correctly is deitructo. Here is a link to the spot, it will be found in the middle of page 672, it is an interlinear gloss and is right above the Scripture verse of 2 Thess 2:4. http://www.archive.org/stream/bibliorum ... 1/mode/2up

Alias in templum. Ideit, in ecclesia, uel in templo a Romanis deitructo, quod tunc Iudaei re aedificabunt

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Re: short sentence

Post by Smythe »

Not gonna give a shot at the translation, but I think, perhaps, a couple of those 'i's are actually 's's. They use several different forms for 's', it appears to me.

"Alias in templum. Ideit, in ecclesia, uel in templo a Romanis deitructo, quod tunc Iudaei re aedificabunt"

Not 'Ideit', but 'Idest', not 'deitructo', but 'destructo'

I say this because the other 'i's have dots over them. The words I cited, did not. Plus, destructo and idest are real Latin words.

rkday
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rkday »

"Alias in templum. Idest, in ecclesia, uel in templo a Romanis destructo, quod tunc Iudaei re aedificabunt"

Elsewhere into the temple. That is, in the church, or in the temple demolished by the Romans, which the Jews were then (re?)building (during this affair?) (for this cause?).

I can't quite see how "re" fits into this, hence the brackets and question-marks - it could be all one word as "reaedificabunt", an ablative of time or an ablative of cause, but I'm really not sure.

Edit: It's bunt, not bant, so of course it's future - will rebuild - rather than imperfect.
Last edited by rkday on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Sic transcribo:
Alias in templum. Id est, in ecclesia, uel in templo a Romanis destructo, quod tunc Iudaei reaedificabunt.
Sic verto:
"Otherwise in the temple. That is, in the church, or in the temple that was destroyed by the Romans, which the Jews will then rebuild."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute