LL2 Help: Cap XXXVI

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Screwdog
Textkit Neophyte

LL2 Help: Cap XXXVI

Post by Screwdog »

Hello all,

First time user here, and I've got a question on a sentence in the very first chapter of Roma Aeterna. Here goes (from page 11):

...qui 'lacus Curtius' dicitur a nomine equitis cuiusdam qui se armatum cum equo suo in voraginem ibi factam praecipitavisse narratur.

I think it says:

... which is called "Lake Curtius" from the name of a certain knight who it is said that he fell headlong into the chasm made there armed with his horse.

My frustration mostly comes with narratur and how to construe the rest of the line in light of it. Is the subject qui or an impersonal "it?" Another option, I suppose, is "...who is said to have fallen headlong into the chasm made there armed with his horse. I think I might like this second option better because it gives qui something to do.

Also, "armed" for armatum sounds a bit funky. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
screwdog

Tertius Robertus
Textkit Fan
Location: 666 Burning Hotties Road, Ol' Dis by Styx, 5th inner circle, Hell.

Re: LL2 Help: Cap XXXVI

Post by Tertius Robertus »

My frustration mostly comes with narratur and how to construe the rest of the line in light of it. Is the subject qui or an impersonal "it?" Another option, I suppose, is "...who is said to have fallen headlong into the chasm made there armed with his horse. I think I might like this second option better because it gives qui something to do.
The subject is not an impersonal it, rather a quite personal qui, and, being that the case, the translation of this part of the sentence goes along like this: who is said to have, fully geared, thrown himself with his horse into the chasm etc etc.

Screwdog
Textkit Neophyte

Re: LL2 Help: Cap XXXVI

Post by Screwdog »

Ah, perfect! I see now that se is the object in indirect discourse... I think I was trying to make it be the subject.

Thanks so much Tertius!