Textkit Logo

Trying to get a handle on Wheelock Chapter 36

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Trying to get a handle on Wheelock Chapter 36

Postby Quis ut Deus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Salve omnes!

Ok, I'm trying to get a handle on the irregular verb fio, fieri, factus sum in Chapter 36 of Wheelock.

I'm trying to learn how to say simple phrases:

Something good/bad is/was happening.
Something bad happened to him.

The examples in the book don't have examples for these phrases, so here's my attempt:

Aliquid malum fit. | Something bad is happening.
Aliquid malum fiebat. | Something bad was happening.
Aliquid bonum fiet. | Something good will happen.
Aliquid malum ei factum est. | Something bad happened to him.

Some more simple phrases:

He became a soldier. | Miles factus est.
She became a doctor. | Medica facta est.

And finally:

What happened? | Quid factum est?

I'm not sure if that makes sense or if there is a different way of saying 'What happened?'

Gratias vobis ago! Patientam multam habent!
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Re: Trying to get a handle on Wheelock Chapter 36

Postby adrianus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Quis ut Deus wrote:I'm not sure if that makes sense or if there is a different way of saying 'What happened?'

They all make sense (I believe) and you've also got... // Omnia eorum intelliguntur, credo, et habes etiam haec:
Quid evenit/cessit/processit/accessit/successit/incidit/egit/obtigit/contigit?
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Quis ut Deus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Gratias tibi ago, Adriane!

Vale!
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Postby adrianus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Don't mention it! Gladly. Take it easy!
Mentionem eius non facias! Libenter. Otiosus esto!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby thesaurus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:52 am

Obiter, is there any reason to prefer "alquid boni/mali" to "aliquid bonum/malum"?

A quick google search turns up uses of each, although the partitive genitive seems to be the preference of older writers. Interestingly, Seneca gives an example of each in the same epistle:
"In musica est aliquid bonum tamquam tibia aut chorda aut organum aliquod aptatum ad usus canendi."
"Quisquis hoc dicit, necesse est recipiat sacrilegium, sicut malum sit quia multa mala facit, ita bonum quoque ex aliqua parte esse, quia aliquid boni facit"
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby adrianus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:53 am

I forgot that, thesaurus. It's a very good question: is it or isn't it best to use partitive genitive here? The genitive here, if you use it, will be more characteristic than partitive, I think. So I think it won't matter which you use here, in that case. Here's Gildersleeve:

Verum dicere, thesaure, id oblitus sum. Perbona quaestio an sit melior usus genetivi partitivi necné. Hîc si casum genetivum adhibeas, magis generis minùs partitivus genetivus erit, ut censeo. Ea ratione, usus alterutrius bonus erit, ut opinor. Lege hoc:

Gildersleeve (§369, on partitive and characteristic genitive) wrote: REMARKS.—1. Neuter adjectives of the Second Declension can be treated as substantives in the Gen.; not so adjectives of the Third, except in combination with adjectives of the Second, but here usually the Second Declension adjective is attracted : aliquid bonum, or boni, something good ; aliquid memorabile, something memorable ; aliquid boni et memorabilis (better aliquid bonum et memorabile).
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin