Textkit Logo

Familia Romana translation

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Familia Romana translation

Postby jamesbath » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:55 pm

Someone please evaluate the following translation of three sentences from Cap. XIX of Familia Romana. I know it's pretty bad, but I think your comments will sharpen my understanding considerably.

The original sentences are: Iūlius uxōrem ōsculātur et "Ō Aemelia" inquit, "mea optima uxor! Decem annī longum est tempus, sed amor meus tempore nōn minuitur. Ut tunc tē amābam, ita etiam nunc tē amō."

My translation is: Iulius received a kiss from his wife and "Oh, Aemelia!" he exclaimed, "my perfect wife! Ten long years it has been, but my love is not diminished by that time. As I loved you then, just so I still love you now."

That's it. How far off the mark am I?

James Bath
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Re: Familia Romana translation

Postby thesaurus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 pm

jamesbath wrote:Iūlius uxōrem ōsculātur et "Ō Aemelia" inquit, "mea optima uxor! Decem annī longum est tempus, sed amor meus tempore nōn minuitur. Ut tunc tē amābam, ita etiam nunc tē amō."

My translation is: Iulius received a kiss from his wife and "Oh, Aemelia!" he exclaimed, "my perfect wife! Ten long years it has been, but my love is not diminished by that time. As I loved you then, just so I still love you now."

"Julius kisses his wife and "O Aemelia," he says, "my perfect/best wife! Ten years is a long time, but my love is not diminished/does not diminish by time. As I was loving you then, even now I thus love you."

You're very close. "osculatur" is from a deponent verb, "osculor, osculari" and so has an active sense here. "Longum" modifies "tempus" and not "decem anni." Good job.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby jamesbath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks. I shall review deponent verbs. And I appreciate your correction on my use of longum. Also, I see from your translation of the word amābam in the last sentence, that my translation of that word was incorrect. I understand it now, though -- amābam is imperfect and I translated it as if it were the perfect amāvī. Am I right?
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Postby thesaurus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:22 pm

jamesbath wrote: Also, I see from your translation of the word amābam in the last sentence, that my translation of that word was incorrect. I understand it now, though -- amābam is imperfect and I translated it as if it were the perfect amāvī. Am I right?

Actually, I think your translation of amabam is good, idiomatic English. When we say "As I loved you then," I think it's understood that we are talking about an ongoing action. "As I was loving you then" is more literal, but I think it's more awkward. If you were translating a sentence with "amavi," you'd probably have "As I had loved you then," or "As I did/once love you."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby jamesbath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Your replies have been very helpful to me. Thanks a bunch.
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Latin