Help with translation!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lilitu
Textkit Neophyte

Help with translation!

Post by Lilitu »

Hello all.<br /><br />I´m Louise from Sweden and just in the process of writing a book.<br />One of the characters is a stiff, intellectual, language professor with a passion for quoting things in foreign languages (hoping to impress people). One of his favourite mottos is <br /><br />"Justice through strenght and courage".<br /><br />Can sombody please help me with a latin translation<br /><br />Thankfully yours / Lilitu

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Re:Help with translation!

Post by vinobrien »

Hej!<br /><br />As fortitudo means something like "strength properly applied", it can translate both as strength and courage. So a neat way might be<br /><br />per fortitudine justitia<br /><br />This feels quite medieval rather than classical and should suit your purposes.<br /><br />lycka till med boken!

Lilitu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lilitu »

Thank you very much for your help. Nice to see some phrases in swedish as well... Are you swedish?<br /><br />I made a "word by word" translation with the help of a dictionary and it ended up with "Justitia per vires et audentia". I have absolutely no knowledge of latin but I´m curious to know how close to the truth I came ( grammatically and in the choice of words) . <br /><br />I also noticed that a lot of words could end with both "a" and "ae". Could someone give a brief explanation of the difference between them?<br /><br />I must say that I really got inspired to learn latin... Maybe I should dig deeper into this<br /><br />//Lilitu

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

"Justice through strength and courage".<br />Per vires audaciamque iustitia. Which would literally have a sense of "Through strength and daring, rightness", but definitely an accurate rendition.<br />-or-<br />Per vires et audaciam aequitas. (aequitas=equal treatment, iustitia=rightness)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae