Death of Pompey

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

Death of Pompey

Post by phil »

Hi all,

This is the end of the story of The Death of Pompey, a story in Second Year Latin:

His tunc cognitis rebus, amici regis, qui propter aetatem eius in procuratione erant regni, sive timore adducti ne Pompeius Alexandriam Aegyptumque occuparet, sive despecta eius fortuna, eis qui erant ab eo missi palam liberaliter responderunt eumque ad regen venire issuerunt; ipsi clam consilio inito, Archillan, praefectum regium, singulari hominum audacia, et L. Septimium, tribunum militum, ad interficiendum Pompeium miserunt. Ab his liberaliter ipse appellatus naviculam parvulam conscendit cum paucis amicis, et ibi ad Achilla et Septimio interficitur.

So, the friends of the young king, either because they feared that Pompey wanted to seize Alexandria and Egypt, or they despised his bad luck, sent Archilla and Septimius to kill him. The bit I don't get is at the end, 'Ab his liberaliter... conscendit'. By these (Archilla and Septimius?) generously? Those three words really confuse me. And does ipse refer to Pompey? 'he, having landed a small boat, boarded with a few of his friends..'

The last bit is clear 'and there he is killed by Archilla and Septimius.'

If any one can help me with that last sentence I'll be grateful.

P.S. I don't get to the internet very often, so won't be able to read your replies or thank you for a couple of weeks.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Death of Pompey

Post by adrianus »

Salve Phil/Philippe
Ab his liberaliter ipse appellatus naviculam parvulam conscendit cum paucis amicis, et ibi ab Achilla et Septimio interficitur.

He, (the very man, Pompeius) as politely requested by them (these men), boards the little boat with just a few friends, and there(upon) is killed by Achillus and Septimius.
Last edited by adrianus on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

quickly
Textkit Neophyte

Post by quickly »

I am not an expert, but I agree:

Ab his[Agent-ABL] liberaliter ipse [Theme-NOM] appelatus [Perf. Pass.] naviculam parvulam [ACC obj. of conscendere] conscendit cum paucis amicis [Accomp. w/ consc...]

I assume that because hic is ABL PL, its implies a MASC complement; because the only NOM object is ipse, it must be the subject of appelatus, and so the ACC objects go with conscendere.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Thanks guys,
Yes, about 3 days after I posted this I realised that I had appellere confused with appellare. When I got that it all became clear. :oops:
Phil