Help Translating a Phrase

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
jgcooper
Textkit Neophyte

Help Translating a Phrase

Post by jgcooper »

Hi,

there's a certain phrase i'd like to translate into latin, but my skills turned out not be so good, i've only managed to figured out a few scattered words, which might even be wrong, here's how the phrase goes:

"my ideals are my spear, my convictions are my shield"

i cant think of a plural for "idealis", but turned 'convictions' into "convictiones". for 'shield' i used 'scutum', though for 'spear' i'm not sure which word to use.
what i got to was:

"idealis(pl) mei sunt mea lancea, convictiones scutum"

which is probably awful.

thanks already!
Last edited by jgcooper on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

I find ‘ideals’ a bit hard to translate. Idealis is more an adjective derived from ‘idea’, which is quite rare and late latin, and means something like ‘idea-like’. If you want to use it, the plural is Ideae.

I’ve used consectatio instead, which means something that you vigorously strive after, or pursue. Studium is also an option, which is something you quite eagerly desire or strive after.

for spear i have used 'pilum', whcih is more a spear for throwing about. I basically just like the '-um' ending of it opposed to that of 'scutum'. Hasta or lancea also are valid translations. Does anyone known what exactly are the differences between these (and other) words for 'spear'?

I’ve also left out the word ‘my’ three times. It just seemed ugly in latin to use it 4 times in a sentence. It’s pretty well implied I think.

For convictions I have used ‘decretum’, which has the meaning of a doctrine, or principle that you adhere to with some resolve.

“consectationes meae sunt pilum, decreta scutum.?

or

“studia mea sunt pilum, decreta scutum.?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

jgcooper
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jgcooper »

gratias tibi ago

ideals, is meant as something which is aimed for, in some way.
and convictions, as to what to stick to.
i think that works.

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Re: Help Translating a Phrase

Post by ptolemyauletes »

How about something like this? Latin will tend to avoid abstractions, so a verb like credo along with an ablative adverbial phrase to denote the ideals and convictions. There is alos some balance and contrast in this phrase.

in rebus bonis hastae, scuto in extremis credo.
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.