Quote for my classroom..help..

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
mellolp54609
Textkit Neophyte

Quote for my classroom..help..

Post by mellolp54609 »

ok well I am not very good with computers, but I don't know who else to turn to. I could really use your help. I am a high school science teacher and I have always loved the quote, "Never forget the people that make you who you are." That line, plus my love for the Latin language, brought me to the decision that I need that quote on a poster in my room. Only problem, I don't know enough latin to successfully translate it. If someone could give me a translation, or even something with the same meaning (ie. replace never forget with remember). If anyone could help, I would ever so grateful.

-Jess P.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

just to get some responses started, i'll propose:

"Nunquam te talem creatorum obliviscaris"

but wait for some better suggestions.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Latin is sort of averse to highly abstract statements like "what makes you you?", but with a little bit of liberty I translate your phrase:

memor esto qui te fecerint

Franmorar
Textkit Member

Post by Franmorar »

What about this one?

Numquam eorum oblitus sis, qui te (talem) qualis es fecerunt.

Or, using modal attraction:

Nolite eorum oblivisci, qui te (talem) qualis sis fecerint.