Neighing Horses

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
Thoucydides
Textkit Neophyte

Neighing Horses

Post by Thoucydides »

I am writing Greek iambics about "neighing steeds" but my dictionaries tell me that the only Greek word for "neigh" is chremetizw, a word I am reluctant to use because it both seems unpoetic and is metrically awkward. I am trying to devise a way round this problem but have not come up with anything I am pleased with so far. Does anyone have ideas or can anyone remember any passages from the tragedians that might help?

One version I attempted described the horses as "ligus" - "shrill". I am not aware of this used of horses anywhere in tragedy, but it might work. Does it sound idiomatic?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi, have a look at how the tragedians use φ??αγμα (see LSJ for refs), cheers, chad.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I don't know the "mood" of the steeds who are doing the neighing but if an annoyed snort will do instead of a neigh you might consider BRIMA/OMAI or E)MBRIMA/OMAI. Is this a poetic option? I leave that for you to decide.

Edit: I looked up Chad's word, or its verbal cognate, and it seems to fit the bill a lot better.