Latin prose composition after Bradley's Arnold

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
sydneylam19
Textkit Neophyte

Latin prose composition after Bradley's Arnold

Post by sydneylam19 »

I would like to look for books with ample exercises in continuous Latin prose composition as well as a corresponding answer key which would suit the use of more advanced students who have completed Bradley's Arnold. Could anyone provide me with good suggestions?

There are many threads on Textkit concerning the subject, and indeed I have discovered many valuable Latin composition books published a century ago on Google. However, the choice becomes difficult when many either lack an answer key or do not even include grammar notes. Some titles are too short in length or are not tailor-made for continuous prose composition.

Thank you!

fitzaudoen
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin prose composition after Bradley's Arnold

Post by fitzaudoen »

You know.. I've asked myself the same question.. and I've been struggling with it. To the effect that in the year and half since I worked through NH and BA compositions, I've largely stuck to reading.

I wonder if it makes sense at some point to try to do a latin translation of an English translation of a latin work. Then see how close you get - try to think why you would use one form versus another, etc.

IIRC there is lots of silver age/late empire prose that's not widely read just because of how derivatively and slavishly they imitate classical norms. Those might make good candidates. Haven't tried this yet though...

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: Latin prose composition after Bradley's Arnold

Post by Victor »

sydneylam19 wrote:I would like to look for books with ample exercises in continuous Latin prose composition as well as a corresponding answer key which would suit the use of more advanced students who have completed Bradley's Arnold.
Are you saying you have completed all of the continuous translation passages in Bradley's Arnold, including those quaint period pieces at the end that deal with the Cawnpore massacre, and the activities of Kunwar Singh and Lord Dalhousie et al? If so, did you have the key to refer to whilst you did them? I've got a copy of it somewhere. Mine was printed in the 1960's, which is probably the last time it was seriously in demand with teachers.

If you have completed all 125 of these translation passages, some of which are far from easy, I'm at a loss to know why you feel the need to find a further composition book. Having completed Bradley's Arnold you should be at an advanced enough stage to be able to translate anything with reasonable confidence.