Comic based on Lucian's Dialogues: Promethei et Iovis

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
Viviparidus
Textkit Enthusiast

Comic based on Lucian's Dialogues: Promethei et Iovis

Post by Viviparidus »

After finishing my first attempt with the dialogues by Father Pontanus, our bedwere kindly suggested me another fun dialogues: Lucian's. And here's what I've got.

If you find any typo or situation misunderstood, please let me know and I'd be more than grateful and quickly fix it. Any suggetion and/or advice would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[EDITED AND ADDED]
Completed version: with Greek-Latin side-by-side (427KB, click and the full sized picture opens)

(Latin) For Greek only text, see the 3rd post of this thread by bedwere.
[Fixed in the strip: Qua Jovi gratissima est! > Quae Jovi gratissima est! (frame 4)

And here's the link to the version without word, to save your labor, my dearest friend bedwere, if you're generous and kind enough to help me again. However, it's not that I take your help granted, by Hercules no, but I need to prepare this anyway if/when I do it myself.
http://www.satindesign.com/tkt/Luciani1SineVerbis.png

[primary text (scanned)]
https://archive.org/stream/loukianoutou ... 4/mode/2up

Since by mortal even, Thetis gave birth to a hero as mighty as Achilles, maybe Prometheus was honest with Juppiter. But who knows?
Last edited by Viviparidus on Mon May 23, 2016 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Comic based on Lucian's Dialogues: Promethei et Iovis

Post by bedwere »

I'll be honored to add the Greek text to this great work of art, my friend!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I couldn't resist. Here it is.

Rouse's notes for this dialogue.

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

I think Prometheus is mis-spelled in the title for the Greek version of the comic. Although I could be wrong....I always give Greek the benefit of the doubt on everything (Including spelling)

Viviparidus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Viviparidus »

Wow, bedwere, thanks! I quickly glued them together. I hope this will help learners among us, as it IS helping me right now. :)
Did I mention you're the greatest?

Hey, but before uploading it, I found a new post by mahasacham.

Thanks, mahasacham, for your input! I agree with you about Prometheus, but I'm not sure, either. So let's wait for bedwere. O bedwere, my dearest friend, I also wonder why "Dios," not "Zeus," in the title, although I know dios means god or heaven, which in that age no one but Zeus.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Yes, it's wrong. I have always problems with Greek capital letters. I'll fix it later. Dios is the genitive of Zeus though, corresponding to Jovis.

PS

It's fixed now. I'm the greatest wherever I am alone, my friend! :D Thank you again for a fantastic work of art!

Viviparidus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Viviparidus »

Thanks, bedwere, here's the complete version!

(427KB, click and the full sized picture opens)

And about dios, please forgive my ignorance. In addition, I was totally lost as on Perseus both names were in nominative.

Now I finally know why "Διοσκουροι," not "Διοικουροι!" :oops:

Thanks again for your help! As I picture my own Greek version without you, I can only see disaster there.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

That's fantastic cartooning, Viviparidus. I especially like the panel which shows the baby growing up to overthrow Zeus. Your images make the text much more comprehensible. This cartoon, along with Rouse's L2 notes and Joel's fine audio

https://archive.org/details/14216

provide some outstanding Direct Method resources for the dialogue. χάριν οὖν πᾶσι!

Viviparidus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Viviparidus »

Markos, thanks for your kind words of encouragement! I'm so happy to hear you liked the frame 12th, which is one of my favorites, since I'm not always sure what pleases me would please others, especially when we're from different background.

Thanks also for the link to the audio! I went through my own strip with it again and again, which gave me a lot of fun and laughter as if it's animated, as well as the lively feelings of the language. Don't you just love to hear what a grief hit Zeus when he says good bye to the Nereid?

Thanks to you, Markos, I'm fully energized to run back to the next dialogue. Thanks again! :D

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

I haven't posted on Textkit in about a year, but when this was brought to my attention, I logged in just to congratulate you both, Viviparidus and bedwere, on a job very well done. Lucian's dialogues seem perfect for comic-strip adaptation, and these particular illustrations make for a fun and easy read. And I like the addition of "Quae Jovi gratissima sit!" :)

Viviparidus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Viviparidus »

Phil-, how kind and generous of you to come back for us! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the comic. As for the addition, I couldn't resist, because I thought Jupiter would be the last who would complain on the creation of women. I'm glad you're with me.
I hope you'll be staying. :)

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Viviparidus wrote:I hope you'll be staying. :)
It was my loss to be away, and to never have gotten very involved. A community is rare enough, even in face-to-face associations, but Textkit is a community where it seems that knowledge, creativity, and collaboration equally flourish to create works like this one, no less delightful than they are instructive. So thank you!

magistercirculus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by magistercirculus »

These comics are amazing! Kudos! I'd sacrifice a hekatomb for you, if you made one for Doris and Galatea, or the judgement of Paris. If I could figure out how to do so, do I have permission to fill the blank one with various Latin versions for my students?

Viviparidus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Viviparidus »

Thank you very much for your kind words, magister circule! How polite of you to ask me about using my pictures in your class, when most people just grab and use whatever they find on the net.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask what various Latin versions? Is there any other translations offered by other authors, or do you mean you'd like to change it to easier sentences for your students, perhaps?

In any case, of course you can use it for your class, as long as it's for educational purpose, not commercial. I'd be honored and feel rewarded if my pictures somewhere in this world help the dearest students learning Latin.

The judgement of Paris sure is fun. Though long. But some day I'll tackle with it if I continue this project. :)