Athenaze 1 Alpha Audio Recording

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Athenaze 1 Alpha Audio Recording

Post by Ursinus »

χαίρετε,

I, very quickly, made a recording of the first story in Athenaze chapter one alpha. I am attempting to use restored pronunciation with tonal accents, so I would like the critiques of others in order to better my pronunciation. This was produced very quickly, so you will notice I stumble over my words in a couple places.

Audio here: https://archive.org/details/Athenaze1aStory
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Athenaze 1 Alpha Audio Recording

Post by bedwere »

Εὖγε, εὖγε :D

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Thanks, Bedwere, for the encouragement. I hope when I get time and my pronounciation gets better to do audio for all the stories in the book. One of the hardest elements for me in restored pronounciation is pronouncing the iota subscript without making it sound identical to the short dipthong.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

My solution for iota subscript, after much pain, was to pronounce the following:

ῳ -> οοι
ᾳ -> ααι
ῃ -> εει

and similarly

ηυ -> εευ

The second diphthong gets slightly compressed, to make it sound as two mora rather than 3. Allen suggests using a qualitative difference, but I never got that to work. And I don't buy the disappearance of iota subscript as result of a vowel quality process. Regardless, that's how I do it.

Your audio sounds great. It sounds like pitch and aspirates are still giving you some problems. I can't say that I've perfected them myself, but I feel like after much unrewarded practice, they both started to click.

I've recorded my version of your story in the hopes that it would be helpful. If not let me know and I won't do it again next time:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23NN- ... sp=sharing
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Jeidsath, thanks for the critical feedback; that's why I posted this. What in particular do I need to work on relative to my pitch accents?

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Part of the problem in learning this pronounciation is the lack of audio resources. I'm pretty satisfied with my restored Latin pronounciation, but I gained that mainly from listening to hours and hours of Latin with restored classical pronounciation, which is possible thanks to Evan der Millner and many others.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Ursinus wrote:Jeidsath, thanks for the critical feedback; that's why I posted this. What in particular do I need to work on relative to my pitch accents?
I can't pretend that I'm an expert on it, but right now I mostly hear an increase in loudness (stress). Perhaps instead concentrate more on the fall (low tone) after the accent than on the high pitch itself? Listen to lots of Japanese.

And maybe watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSIwo5v5vnw
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

jeidsath wrote:
Ursinus wrote:Jeidsath, thanks for the critical feedback; that's why I posted this. What in particular do I need to work on relative to my pitch accents?
I can't pretend that I'm an expert on it, but right now I mostly hear an increase in loudness (stress). Perhaps instead concentrate more on the fall (low tone) after the accent than on the high pitch itself? Listen to lots of Japanese.

And maybe watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSIwo5v5vnw
Thanks for the help. I am going to work on that video for awhile and see if it helps with my Greek. Thanks a lot. Also, you should consider doing more audio for Athenaze :D It would be a real help and service to Greek learners. It is a very popular book and actually pretty good in terms of modern textbooks, emphasizing learning through induction and reading.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Also, what do you think of this gentlemen's recordings? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbAnHCDUDiw

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

I retried a couple lines of the audio this morning. I tried to focus on the drop in pitch on the circumflexes. Let me know if it was improved or not. Don't be afraid to be honest. https://archive.org/details/Athenaze1alphaRedo

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

It's not going to be an overnight process. Try following the video's advice, and read this Athenazde section as fast as you can once a day for the next three weeks, and see where it gets you.

You are varying pitch now rather than loudness, which is an improvement. But it's not going to sound natural until it becomes natural.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

I'm going to take your advice. I'll check in in about three weeks to see how much I've improved.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

bedwere wrote:Εὖγε, εὖγε :D
τὸ αὐτὸ αὐδῶ ἐγώ.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Another attempt. Admittedly, I have not been practicing as much as I'd like; I had to get done with school, which was getting really busy at the end. I focused on being a bit more natural, trying to be more subtle in the intonation, as if I was speaking English in a way (even English is intoned to an extent). I also took Jeidsath's advice on trying to focus on the drop in pitch after the acute. I hope it is an improvement!

https://archive.org/details/Athenaze1alphaRedo2

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus