Ben-Hur Translation Page 9: The Admiral and the Slave

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Ben-Hur Translation Page 9: The Admiral and the Slave

Post by bedwere »

Thank you for your help!

Original page

Link to post with previous pages

The admiral’s request is carried out, and in answer to his question Ben-Hur reveals the tale of the accident and its bitter consequences…

Præfecti quidem jussus efficitur, Benhur autem ad rogatum ejus respondens narravit casum suum et quæ secuta sunt.

Ἡ μὲν τοῦ ναυάρχου κέλευσις διαπράσσεται, ὁ δὲ Βενὼρ πρὸς τὸ ἐρωτώμενον αὐτοῦ ἀποκρινόμενος διηγεῖται τὴν τύχην καὶ τὰ συμβεβηκότα.

I have heard this story before and thought all the Hurs were dead. I had great respect for your late father. As his son, were you not given a fair trial?

Istis rebus prius auditis, putabam cunctos Hur mortuos esse. Multum autem venerabar patrem tuum defunctum. Tu, cujus filius cum sis, nonne æque judicatus es?

Πρόσθεν ἀκούσας ταῦτα, ᾤμην ἅπαντας τοὺς Ὤρ ἀποθανεῖν. Πολὺ δ’ ᾐδούμην τὸν τεθνηκότα πατέρα σου. Σύ γε, υἱὸς αὐτοῦ ὤν, οὐκοῦν δικαίως διεκρίθης;

None, sir. I was not allowed to speak.

Minime, domine. Non enim licuit mihi loqui.

Οὐχί, κύριε. Οὐ γὰρ ἐξῆν μοι λαλεῖν.

What would your ambition be if you were free and knew your mother and sister to be dead?

Quid cuperes si liber esses et novisses matrem sororemque tuas mortuas esse?

Τίνος ἂν ἐπεθύμεις εἰ ἐλεύθερος ἦσθα καὶ ᾔδεις τὴν μετέρα τε καὶ τὴν ἀδελφήν σου τεθνηκυίας;

I would be a soldier, sir, training for war in a Roman camp.

Miles fierem, domine, exercens me ad bellum in Romanis castris.

Στρατιώτης ἐγιγνόμην ἄν, κύριε, ἀσκούμενος εἰς πόλεμον ἐν Ῥωμαϊκῷ στρατοπέδῳ.

The admiral’s manner suddenly becomes stern as he is reminded that a master may not be friendly with a slave.

Subito præfectus classis fit acerbus, quia recordatur ne dominus utatur servo amico.

Ἐξαίφνης δ' ὁ ναύαρχος γίγνεται τραχύς, ὅτι ἀναμιμνήσκεται μὴ δεσπότην φιλίᾳ χρῆσθαι περὶ δοῦλον.

Go and build no hopes on what has passed between us. Never forget your are Jew and not a Roman citizen.

Iens noli spem alere in quo inter nos accidit. Nec umquam obliviscaris te esse Judæum neque civem Romanum.

Ἰὼν μὴ ἐλπίδα λάβῃς ἐν ᾧ μεταξὺ ἡμῶν ἐγένετο. Μηδὲ ἐπιλάθῃ ποτὲ τοῦ σὲ μὲν Ἰουδαῖον εἶναι οὐδὲ Ῥωμαῖον.

I am proud to be a son of Israel, sir, and I thank you for the favor you have shown me. Farewell!

Glorior me esse filium Israël, domine, sed gratias ob hoc tibi habeo, quod gratificatus es mihi. Vale!

Καυχῶμαι μὲν υἱὸς τοῦ Ἰσραὴλ ὤν, κύριε, χάριν δὲ ἔχω σοὶ τοῦ χαρίσασθαί μοι. Ἔρρωσο.

Within a few days the pirate fleet is sighted and trumpets sound the call to arms. It was the custom before battle to chain the slaves to their rowing benches. If a ship sank or was burned the slaves must perish with it.

Post paucos dies, cum prædonum classis in conspectum prodierit, cornu classicum sonat. Mos autem erat ut ante pugnam remiges catenis constringerentur ad transtra. Qua de causa si navis vel submergatur vel incendatur, necesse sit remiges una cum ea perire.

Μετὰ ὀλίγας ἡμέρας, τοῦ τῶν λῃστῶν ναυτικοῦ ἐπιφανέντος, ἡ στρογγύλη σάλπιγξ σημαίνει. Ἐνομίζετο δὲ πρὸ τῆς μαχῆς τοὺς ὑπηρέτας πέδαις δεθῆναι πρὸς τὰ ἑδώλια. Διόπερ εἰ ἡ ναῦς ἢ καταδύοιτο ἢ πεπρησμένη εἶη, ἀνάγκη ἂν τοὺς ὑπηρέτας ἅμα αὐτῇ ἀπολέσθαι.

I can hear a great scuffle of feet and clutter of arms amid the commotion on deck. I wonder who the ships will meet in battle?

Audio vero et pedes calcantes et arma strepitantia in tumulto super pontem. Dubito igitur cui naves prœlium commissuræ sint.

Ἀκούω δὴ καὶ πόδας καταπατοῦντας καὶ ὅπλα ψοφοῦντα ἐν τῷ ἐπὶ τοῦ καταστρώματος θορύβῳ. Ἀπορῶ οὖν τίνι αἱ νῆες μάχην συνάψουσιν.

The guard passes on to the next slave, leaving Ben-Hur’s ankle free!

Custos pergens ad proximum remigem relinquit talonem Benhuris solutum!

Ὁ φύλαξ διαπορευθεὶς πρὸς τὸν ἐγγύτατον ὑπηρέτην καταλείπει τὸ τοῦ Βενὼρ σφυρὸν λελυμένον.

Only an order issued by the admiral could have brought me this good fortune! There is hope for freedom if this ship is victorious in battle!

Tantum jussu præfectus classis obtinuissem bonum exitum istum! Spes vero est mihi fore ut liberer, si navis ista vicerit prœlium!

Μόνον κελεύσει παρὰ τοῦ ναυάρχου ηὐτύχησα ἂν τοῦτο τὸ εὐτύχημα. Ἐλπὶς δή ἐστί μοι ἐλευθερωθῆναι, ἐὰν αὑτὴ ἡ ναῦς νικήσῃ μάχην.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Ben-Hur Translation Page 9: The Admiral and the Slave

Post by bedwere »

Latine

Ἑλληνιστί

LateStarter
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LateStarter »

Ergo cum navis submergeretur vel incenderetur, tum necesse erat remiges una cum ea perire.

The imperfect subjunctive with cum (reason? - not causal) and indicative erat (why imperfect indicative for a conditional future event?) with tum are quite jumbled. This seems as if it should be a clear condition. If there is a full stop I would suggest "Qua de causa si navis vel submergatur vel incendatur, necesse sit..." If only one vel is used, it should probably be vel etiam, which has the (presumably) intended meaning ' - or even X -,' while single vel does not.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Many thanks for your correction, LateStarter. I changed also the Greek verbs to the optative.