Yes, I'm violating Hermann's Bridge...

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Yes, I'm violating Hermann's Bridge...

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I originally intended to make this an elegaic couplet, but when the first hexameter said everything I wanted to say, well, I let it be.

ἠχὴ δ' ὑετοῦ ἄνδ?' ὑπεόντα μελαθ?οῦ ἰαίνει.

I tried to iron that blasted Hermann's bridge violation out, but I couldn't find a way, and I like how the word order works out as it is. Maybe I'll try to rework this again.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

i don't understand the metre of huetou. the way to avoid breaking hermann's bridge here would be presumably to move hupeonta melathrou to the end of the line, change the compositional preposition of hupeonta (if possible), and put a new verb with the same meaning before it and after andr'. huetou will need fixing. good effort all in all though.

~D

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

The meter of huetou is long-short-short, the second short being a case of correption.

Could you suggest a new verb with the same meaning?

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

yes, i presumed you were correpting, but i knew of no instance of a diphthong being correpted as the latter element of the biceps of the second foot. perhaps my unfamiliarity with the licence in this sedes, if parallels indeed exist, is from having not opened my Homer for half a dozen weeks.

thalpei.

~D