Aust qualified for world cup tonight!! Last time was in 70s

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
chad
Textkit Zealot

Aust qualified for world cup tonight!! Last time was in 70s

Post by chad »

)αντίποδες, μεγάλοι μεγάλοι, πόδας ὠκέες ἄνδρες, ὄφρα κύπελλον ἔχωμεν, ἴμεν νῦν γερμανίηνδε.

(the breathing on the 1st letter isn't showing up on my pc)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Aust qualified for world cup tonight!! Last time was in

Post by annis »

This is some sports thing, yes?
chad wrote:(the breathing on the 1st letter isn't showing up on my pc)
I see it fine, just off the margins funny.

I had a brief mental meltdown expecting the second line to be a pentameter. After I got over that shock, everything fell into place nicely.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

Hi will, yep it's like the world series in baseball, except that it involves teams from more than one country :) :)

Just to qualify is massive for us. most aussies would have jumped around screaming and had some simple dactylic verses pop into their heads i think.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I too was expecting that pentameter.

Anyway, congratulations (for the qualification and the poem).

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

chad wrote:
Hi will, yep it's like the world series in baseball, except that it involves teams from more than one country :) :)

Just to qualify is massive for us. most aussies would have jumped around screaming and had some simple dactylic verses pop into their heads i think.
Never mind Chad - just look dumb next time someone from the USA mentions "World Series baseball" :wink:
I couldn't believe it - exams over, delayed birthday celebration (because of exam), presents AND the World Cup qualifier - all on one day. It was all too much! (And I like the Greek too!)

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Chad, congrats. I watched the second half on the internet at 5am yesterday morning and held my breath as Oz downed Uruguay in penalties.

Hope you get a good draw.

WB