Textkit Logo

BBG workbook chapter 9 line 14 (second edition)

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

BBG workbook chapter 9 line 14 (second edition)

Postby Bert » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:04 am

This line reads as follows; "[face=SPIonic]e)n toi=j lo/goij Daui\d toi=j e)sxa/toij e)sti\n o( a)riqmo\j ui(w=n Leui\ A)po\ ei)kosaetou=j kai\ e)pa/nw[/face]
This sentence means something like; "by the last words of David, this is the number of the the sons of Levi, from twenty years old and over."
My question is; I have to supply the pronoun 'this' in order to make sense of this line. Without having the context of this sentence, can I know for sure that I supplied the right word? I tried translating at first having 'the number' as the subject (the number is ... ) but I could not find a word in the nominative to fill in the blank.
I feel a little uncomfortable just adding a word. If the context indicated the possibility, would it be grammatically possible to add the word 'high' (...the number of the sons of Levi is high...)?
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:05 am

Searching in the Blue Letter Bible(http://www.blueletterbible.org) the quote is from 1Ch 23:27. :)

I hope it helps. Anyway it's a translation of a hebrew sentence...
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Skylax » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:22 am

Literal translation is "The number of sons... is in the last words (or "discourses", or something)...". We can translate the [face=SPIonic]e)sti/[/face] as "there is".
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Bert » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:54 am

Skylax wrote: We can translate the [face=SPIonic]e)sti/[/face] as "there is".

Is this a common thing that the pronoun (there, this, that, etc) is implied with this verb?
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Paul » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:11 am

Hi Bert,

In Greek every verb is a complete sentence. Its stem is the predicate, its ending the subject.

After Monro, in the sentence [face=SPIonic]e)s-ti[/face], the predicate [face=SPIonic]e)s[/face] means 'is', the subject [face=SPIonic]ti[/face] means 'it' (or 'he', 'she'). Similarly, in the sentence [face=SPIonic]h)/lqo-men[/face], the predicate [face=SPIonic]h)/lqo[/face] means 'came', the subject [face=SPIonic]men[/face] means 'we'.

He then notes that "..the Endings of a Verb may always be translated by Personal Pronouns..". Obviously, 'there' is not a personal pronoun, but it's not much of a stretch from 'it is' to 'there is'.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:16 am

Bert, I remember the verb [face=SPIonic]ei)mi/[/face] also means "exist".
Jesus said [face=SPIonic]pri\n a)braa\m gene/sqai e)gw~ ei)mi/[/face](Jn 8:58 ).
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:17 pm

Yes, it is quite common, and you don't need to feel bad about putting in the "extra" word. :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek