Aspect question

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
joseph47parker
Textkit Neophyte

Aspect question

Post by joseph47parker »

Okay,

I'm just starting greek verbs and I have a question regarding aspect. In chapter 15, 15.17 specifically. Mounce states that..."the basic genius of the Greek verb is not its ability to indicate when.....but what type of action..., or what we call "aspect."

Then in chapter 16, specifically 16.13 he states that in the present tense..."choose the aspect which best fits the context".

My quesiton: how is that genius if I'M HAVING TO DECIED THE ASPECT??????? Am I missing something here? Will aspect be more defined in the verb later? Help.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

. I think that the present tense indicates a continuous action but when it comes to translating, it is hard express this aspect without "over translating" or getting very clumsy sentences. In his example you can translate: I am studying or I study. Both will have the continuous aspect but in the latter one it is not the emphasis of the sentence.

joseph47parker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by joseph47parker »

So the present active indicative should really be translated in the "continuous" aspect, then.That seems to be what he as done in the workbook. Personally, I don't really care if it's not "good" english in my translations, but I want to keep the emphasis of the greek text. What do most people on here do?

So, I assume later I will run into verb types that are definately one or the other? (continuous/completed)

thanks again for your help. I'm really completely alone in this greek thing. So you folks are my only support.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

joseph47parker wrote:So the present active indicative should really be translated in the "continuous" aspect, then.That seems to be what he as done in the workbook. Personally, I don't really care if it's not "good" english in my translations, but I want to keep the emphasis of the greek text.
Right on. The best thing then, is not to translate but to understand the Greek as you are reading it. That is not easy.
joseph47parker wrote:What do most people on here do?
Because it is easier to check someones work if he translates a passage, most people translate. It can be fun as well. It is not as much fun as coming to a paragraph when suddenly you find you read the whole thing without having to translate it.
joseph47parker wrote:

So, I assume later I will run into verb types that are definately one or the other? (continuous/completed)
Yes.
joseph47parker wrote: thanks again for your help. I'm really completely alone in this greek thing. So you folks are my only support.
I know what it is like. You're welcome. One thing about this forum, there are enough people reading these posts that if I tell you something that is not correct, someone will correct it.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

One thing about this forum, there are enough people reading these posts that if I tell you something that is not correct, someone will correct it.
ain't that the truth!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

My opinion is that when learning a new language you should avoid translating into your native language as much as possible. The habit of searching for the main verb and then the subject, etc. makes the language too mechanical and views it (whether Greek or Latin) as a code for representing English. In a class setting translation is necessary to test the students' actual understanding of the language, but if you're learning on your own just read slowly and try to understand it as it would've been understood by a native speaker. I believe you learn much faster that way.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

calvinist wrote:.... In a class setting translation is necessary to test the students' actual understanding of the language, .....
Unless you have a teacher who can speak the language and teach that way. I'm sure that those teachers are few.