GEN 37:15 in LXX

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
AVRAHAM
Textkit Neophyte

GEN 37:15 in LXX

Post by AVRAHAM »

Hey all, I was wondering what people thought about this passage in Genesis 37:15 . I know it's more of a theological question, but I'm wondering about what the text implies here. I read this in Hebrew and Greek. The story seems very odd to me, and uses odd wording. In Hebrew:
.וַיִּמְצָ?ֵהוּ ?ִיש?, וְהִנֵּה תֹעֶה בַּשָּׂדֶה; וַיִּש?ְ?ָלֵהוּ הָ?ִיש? לֵ?מֹר, מַה-תְּבַקֵּש?. "
And in Greek:
"καὶ εὗ?εν α?τὸν ἄνθ?ωπος πλανώμενον ?ν τῷ πεδίῳ· ἠ?ώτησεν δὲ α?τὸν ? ἄνθ?ωπος λέγων Τί ζητεῖς;"

"πλανώμενον" is one of the words I'm wondering about. It is translated as "wandering". But it seems to have many other cannotations of negativity. And this passage ends with "ζητεῖς" A word used with high spiritual implications. Used countlessly, at least as I'm reading in the NT. Both of these words could have been easly replaced with more accurate ones, if the english translations are correct. Why were these ones used? And are there any possible implications here? Or do I just need more time studying my Greek? :) Thanks!

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

At first blush (and that is all I have time for now) I think you are looking for a hidden meaning where there is none.
I will have to leave the Hebrew to you. I have no idea whether the Greek is an acurate rendering of the original. To me both the Greek and the English make good sense at face value. Wandering because he didn't know where to look. ζητέω can be used in a spiritual context but I don't think it is a spiritual word.
Gotta go.

joja
Textkit Neophyte

Re: GEN 37:15 in LXX

Post by joja »

Hello,

Re: GENESIS 3:15 "And a certain man found him, and, behold,
[he was] wandering in the field: and the man asked him,
saying, What seekest thou?"

The only "hidden meaning" I can see is that God in His foreknowledge
made sure that "someone" would lead the "lost" Joseph to his
brothers because the timing had to be at at that time that the slave
buyer would buy him , and the rest of the Old Testament Scriptures
would be fulfilled in Joseph's life.

p.s.
JOSEPH WAS SOLD FOR 30 PIECES OF SILVER, CAST INTO PRISON,
STOOD AT THE RIGHT HAND OF PHAROAH...ETC.
A type of Christ.