Atticized New Testament

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
SalviProSemper
Textkit Neophyte

Atticized New Testament

Post by SalviProSemper »

Does anyone know of an Atticized or "classicized" Greek New Testament?

Thank you!

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Atticized New Testament

Post by mwh »

I don’t, and I very much hope no such thing exists. The books of the NT are what they are. They have their different styles, which it would be a shame to erase by leveling, but none of them except Revelation is terribly different from classical Greek. (That’s not to deny there are inevitable differences: language doesn’t stay still at the best of times, and certainly not in the complex cultural milieu of 1st-century Palestine.) A 5th-century Athenian would find them laughable and/or offensive, but more on account of what they say than of how they say it.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Atticized New Testament

Post by jeidsath »

Christianity's explicit rejection of religious plurality might have been the only thing that really offended a 5th century Athenian. Otherwise, I think that they would have extended tolerance and respect, as seemed to be their tendency with strange gods. It's a very Christian thing to be monomaniacal about Christianity.

I imagine that even Revelation might have have afforded the Athenians an opportunity to create poetry.

ὣς τοὺς μὲν ἔχε φῦζα· θεοὺς δ᾽ ἐπὶ πείρασι γαίης
εἶδον ἐφεσταότας πίσυρας πισύρεσσιν ἐοῦσιν,
κάδ᾽ δ᾽ ἄρ᾽ ἔχον πισύρων ἀνέμων λαιψηρὰ κέλευθα,
μὴ πνοιῇσιν ὀροίατ᾽ ἐπὶ ζείδωρον ἄρουραν
δένδρεά θ᾽ ὑψιπέτηλα καὶ εὐρέα νῶτα θαλάσσης.
ἐν δὲ ἴδον θεὸν ἄλλον ἀπ᾽ ἠελίου ἀνιόντος
οὐρανόθι πρὸ κιόντα, πατρὸς δ᾽ ἔχεν αἰὲν ἐόντος
χερσὶ ἑαῖς σφρηγῖδα, θεοῖσι δ᾽ ὁ μακρὸν ἄϋσε,
τοῖς κράτος ἐγγυάλιξε πατὴρ ἀνδρῶν τε θεῶν τε
σίνεσθαι γαῖάν τε καὶ ἐυρέα νῶτα θαλάσσης,
τοῖς ὁ θεοῖς πισύρεσσιν ἐκέκλετο μακρὸν ἀΰσας·
ἴσχετέ μοι χεῖρας, μὴ πρὶν κακὰ ἔρδετε γαῖαν
δένδρεά θ᾽ ὑψιπέτηλα καὶ ἐυρέα νῶτα θαλάσσης,
πρίν κεν ἐπ᾽ ὀφρύσι τῶν γε πατρὸς σφρηγῖδα βαλῶμεν
αἴσιμα οἳ ἔρδουσ᾽, ὑπάτας τ᾽ ἀλέγουσι θέμιστας.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com