Luke 6:5 interpolation

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Luke 6:5 interpolation

Post by jeidsath »

I just ran across the Bezae Luke 6:5 interpolation for the first time. It struck me as of very high quality for an interpolation, though obviously late and an attempt to present a "digested" interpretation of Jesus' theology (similar to the woman taken in adultery). So I looked up W&H on the verse:
vi 5 is transposed by D to the end of the next sabbatical miracle, after v. 10, the following being substituted here: Τῇ αὐτῇ ἡμέρᾳ, θεασάμενός τινα ἐραζόμενον τῷ σαββάτῳ εἶπεν αὐτῷ Ἄνθρωπε, εἰ μὲν οἶδας τί ποιεῖς, μακάριοις εἶ· εἰ δὲ μὴ οἶδας, ἐπικατάρατος καὶ παραβάτης εἶ τοῦ νόμου. Possibly from the same source as the Section on the woman taken in adultery ([Jo] vii 53--viii 11).
The suggestion is made in the John vii,viii discussion that the "source" is either Papias or the Gospel according to the Hebrews, citing Eusebias.
"And he has likewise set forth another narrative (ἱστορίαν) concerning a woman who was maliciously accused before the Lord touching many sins (ἐπὶ πολλαῖς ἁμαρτίαις διαβληθείσης ἐπὶ τοῦ κυρίου), which is contained in the Gospel according to the Hebrews."
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com