LXX OG or Symmachus - why it matters

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

LXX OG or Symmachus - why it matters

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

Gen. 1:28a
ויברך אתם אלהים ויאמר להם אלהים פרו ורבו ומלאו את־הארץ וכבשׁה

ΣΥΜΜΑΧΟΣ (Symmachus)
καὶ εὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεός·
εἶπεν δὲ αὐτοῖς ὁ θεός· αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ
πληρώσατε τὴν γῆν καὶ ὑποτάξατε αὐτὴν ...

Where αὐτὴν renders the pronominal suffix on וכבשׁה.

LXX OG (Rahlfs)
Gen. 1:28 καὶ ηὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεὸς
λέγων Αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ
πληρώσατε τὴν γῆν καὶ κατακυριεύσατε αὐτῆς

As Peter J. Williams stressed in his lecture "Why I don't believe in the Septuagint"[1] the revisions of LXX OG and fresh translations of the Hebrew Bible into Greek are moving in the direction of formal equivalence[2]. You can see this in this sample where the sentence structure:

LXX OG: καὶ ηὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεὸς λέγων -- doesn't mirror the Hebrew syntax
ויברך אתם אלהים ויאמר להם אלהים

Symmachus: καὶ εὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεός· εἶπεν δὲ αὐτοῖς ὁ θεός· -- mirrors the Hebrew syntax

[1] Peter J. Williams "Why I don't believe in the Septuagint"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmA2oQm ... u.be&t=107

[2] formal equivalence -- Word for word translation maintaining the syntax structure including word order whenever possible.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: LXX OG or Symmachus - why it matters

Post by Markos »

Hi, Clayton:
C. S. Bartholomew wrote:Gen. 1:28a
ויברך אתם אלהים ויאמר להם אלהים פרו ורבו ומלאו את־הארץ וכבשׁה

ΣΥΜΜΑΧΟΣ (Symmachus)
καὶ εὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεός·
εἶπεν δὲ αὐτοῖς ὁ θεός· αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ
πληρώσατε τὴν γῆν καὶ ὑποτάξατε αὐτὴν ...

Where αὐτὴν renders the pronominal suffix on וכבשׁה.

LXX OG (Rahlfs)
Gen. 1:28 καὶ ηὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεὸς
λέγων Αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ
πληρώσατε τὴν γῆν καὶ κατακυριεύσατε αὐτῆς
C. S. Bartholomew wrote:LXX OG or Symmachus...
... or the Graecus Venetus:

καὐλόγησέ σφε ὁ θεός, εἶπέ τε σφοῖν ὁ θεός, αὔξετον καὶ πληθύνετον, πληροῦτόν τε τὴν γῆν καὶ ὑποτάσσετον ταύτην...

(Yes, those are dual imperatives.) The GV is above all the anti-LXX; it consistently goes out of its way to NEVER follow the LXX for as much as a verse or a sentence. This is obviously not the case for the other Greek translations, which often agree verbally with the LXX.
C. S. Bartholomew wrote:LXX OG: καὶ ηὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεὸς λέγων -- doesn't mirror the Hebrew syntax
This does catch me by surprise. I would think either (a) the LXX has a different vorlage here or (b) the LXX authors are so used to semitisms that they sometimes produce them even when they are not in the original.

Do you have a link for Symmachus (and the other Greek translations) on line? Are Field's old volumes of the Hexapla still the standard hard copy resource? I hear that someone is working on a new edition of the Hexapla but I have not been able to find anything on line or in print.

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Re: LXX OG or Symmachus - why it matters

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

Markos,

As is often the case, I stumbled across this while looking into some unrelated matter. I would also be interested in finding handy access to "the Three" something readable[1].

[1] not Göttingen LXX apparatus.
C. Stirling Bartholomew