ἐνετύλιξεν and ἐντετυλιγμένον relationship btw the morphemes

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

ἐνετύλιξεν and ἐντετυλιγμένον relationship btw the morphemes

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Please comment on what I see as a differentiated use of the prefixed preposition:
Matthew 27:59 wrote:Καὶ λαβὼν τὸ σῶμα ὁ Ἰωσὴφ ἐνετύλιξεν αὐτὸ σινδόνι καθαρᾷ,
John 20:27 wrote:καὶ τὸ σουδάριον ὃ ἦν ἐπὶ τῆς κεφαλῆς αὐτοῦ, οὐ μετὰ τῶν ὀθονίων κείμενον, ἀλλὰ χωρὶς ἐντετυλιγμένον εἰς ἕνα τόπον.
The prefixed preposition ἐν- in Mt.27:59 is an adverb with lexical semantic morpheme τυλισσ- "wrapped inside", while in John 20:27, the ἐν- is taken together with the perfect morphological elements Cᵣε...μεν or with the mp meaning of μεν [where Cᵣ is the reduplicating consonant] "folded and put somewhere" or "folded lying in a place" or "the folding has been done and now one feature of the state it is in is its location".

In Aristophanes, Plutus, 692 κατέκειτο δ᾽ αὑτὴν ἐντυλίξασ᾽ ἡσυχῇ we need to infer what the hand is now wrapped up in - the quilt or coverlet. John explicates what was used for wrapping.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Re: ἐνετύλιξεν and ἐντετυλιγμένον relationship btw the morph

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

My one word response to your proposal: Methodology

I did a Google search for: New Testament lexical semantics

What resulted was 500+ references to Louw & Nida 1992, Moisés Silva 1984.

If you want something more recent, Biblical Hebrew is one place to look. Toward the end of the 20th Century the state of lexical semantics in New Testament lexical studies was in somewhat better shape than Biblical Hebrew. In 2000 that changed when Rainier de Blois (United Bible Societies) launched the Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew (SDBH) project. That project is now old news. This morning I went looking for something more recent. Justino Alfredo and Gene l. Green emphasize different linguistic frameworks, with some overlap.

Scriptura 109 (2012), pp. 1-15
TRANSLATING BIBLICAL WORDS:
A CASE STUDY OF THE HEBREW WORD, חסד∗
Justino Alfredo
Old and New Testament
Stellenbosch University
http://scriptura.journals.ac.za/pub/art ... le/120/128

LEXICAL PRAGMATICS AND BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION
Gene l. Green
ETS 50/4 (December 2007) 799–812

http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/ ... _Green.pdf
C. Stirling Bartholomew

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: ἐνετύλιξεν and ἐντετυλιγμένον relationship btw the morph

Post by mwh »

ἑκηβόλε, you might get more useful responses if you posted in the Learning Greek forum rather than this one.

In Matt. the following dative specifies what he wrapped the body in, while in John the sudarium is just wrapped up. If we press the εν- in John I suppose we could say it’s wrapped in itself—folded up, perhaps. At Plut.692 again it’s not stated what she wrapped herself in. In her cloak or a bedcloth we can surmise. Cf. 707 ενεκαλυψάμην without specification, and 714 εγκεκαλύφθαι, where it’s implied it’s his cloak he was hidden in.

So in Matt. the prefix is picked up by σινδόνι, in the other two it’s left unelaborated. Many prepositionally prefixed verbs behave in the same sort of way.