David Bentley Hart translation of NT

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
daler
Textkit Neophyte

David Bentley Hart translation of NT

Post by daler »

Interesting point about the disparity between the quality of the greek in the various books of the NT and the pitfalls of translations by committees. He strives to not smooth out the roughness, but to let it be seen. I'm looking forward to getting a look at this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... rt/546551/

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: David Bentley Hart translation of NT

Post by jeidsath »

The textual notes and critical materials look interesting, for all that he opens the first page of his preface with a broadside about classics students "lisping" Plato in Erasmian instead of good demotic Greek :lol: . He is Orthodox, according to Wikipedia.

A glance at the Amazon preview tells me he keeps the present-tense/aorist-tense whiplash of Mark for the English. He delivers some (true) broadsides against the ESV and NIV translations, but does not go into detailed specifics (which is sloppy).

I've been buried in W&H's notes, and Hort's letters, and a Jowett essay lately, and it's difficult to be impressed by anyone's scholarship after that, but I will check out Hart's critical appendix if I ever get the chance.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

jeidsath wrote: He is Orthodox, according to Wikipedia.
According to Wikipedia, Frankie Schaeffer is Orthodox. :lol:

The Strange Theology of David Bentley Hart
http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/2015/05/ ... ntley.html

Previous rough English renderings:
Young's literal
Jay Green's continuous text version of his interlinear TR.
Richmond Lattimore, ... probably others.

This isn't a new concept.

Postscript: A friend of mine who apparently reads The Atlantic asked me about this several days ago. I didn't know anyone read The Atlantic anymore.

Post Postscript: Every first year seminarian sets out to produce a hyper-literal translation. It is the first thing you have to get over in training to be a professional Bible translator. Friend of mine who was a translation consultant for decades, now known as a Russian Orthodox theologian, told me several times that interlinear style translation was a constant source difficulty.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

daler
Textkit Neophyte

Post by daler »

Post Postscript: Every first year seminarian sets out to produce a hyper-literal translation. It is the first thing you have to get over in training to be a professional Bible translator. Friend of mine who was a translation consultant for decades, now known as a Russian Orthodox theologian, told me several times that interlinear style translation was a constant source difficulty.
Not sure that's the point that was being made and in some way you have made his point about why he is trying what he is doing. Maybe you should read the article. It's quite a bit more nuanced than "a first year seminarian's hyper literal translation."

Here is a more detailed review:
https://www.firstthings.com/article/201 ... id-bentley

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

daler wrote: It's quite move a bit more nuanced than "a first year seminarian's hyper literal translation."
I'm sure it is. Perhaps comparable to The Source New Testament by Ann Nyland[1].

Graig Yarbrough rated it *****
Dr. Nyland has a Unique Way Of translating the New Testament. She studies Greek documents and other writings of that time and provides a fresh new insight into just exactly how those words should be translated. It is an unbiased :lol: translation, rather than one that is affected by someone who thinks it should be translated that away.
[1] A. Nyland is a papyri aficionado, who doesn't believe there are semitisms in the New Testament. We used to disagree about that on b-greek.
Ann Nyland is a former lecturer in classical Greek language at the University of New England, Australia
Some other works:
  • Papyri, Women, And Word Meaning In The New Testament
    Complete Books of Enoch: 1 Enoch (First Book of Enoch), 2 Enoch (Secrets of Enoch), 3 Enoch (Hebrew Book of Enoch).
    What were The Watchers?: Discover the Truth! (Volume 1)
    The Book of Jubilees (The Little Genesis, The Apocalypse of Moses) Old Testament / Apocrypha / Pseudepigrapha
    Nephilim and Giants (Discover the Truth) (Volume 2)
    Ancient Angels A - Z (Discover the Truth) (Volume 3)
    Book of Enoch: Angels, Watchers and Nephilim.
    The Gospel of Thomas
    Xenophon: Art of Horsemanship (Plus other classical writers) A NEW TRANSLATION
    Study New Testament For Lesbians, Gays, Bi, And Transgender: With Extensive Notes On Greek Word Meaning And Context
****** at least 10 more titles ****
C. Stirling Bartholomew