the Athous paraphrase of Nonnos

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

the Athous paraphrase of Nonnos

Post by Markos »

https://www.academia.edu/6703389/Athous ... ca_62_2012

If you love Homer, you will like Nonnos. If you love Gaza as an alternative (or supplement) to G-T, you will like the Athous paraphrase. If you love the 4th Gospel, you will, I think, love both paraphrases.
Jn 11:5: ἠγάπα δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς τὴν Μάρθαν καὶ τὴν ἀδελφὴν αὐτῆς καὶ τὸν Λάζαρον.
Nonnos 11:5: φιλοξείνους δὲ γυναῖκας Ἰησοῦς ἀγάπαζε φιλοστόργῳ τινὶ θεσμῷ, Μάρθαν καὶ Μαρίην καὶ Λάζαρον.
Athous 11:5: φιλοστόργως δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς διὰ φιλοξενίαν ἔστεργε Μάρθαν καὶ Μαρίαν ὁμοῦ καὶ τὸν Λάζαρον.
Jn 11:7b: ἄγωμεν εἰς τὴν Ἰουδαίαν πάλιν.
Nonnos 11:7b: ἴομεν εἱς κλυτὸν οὖδας Ἰουδαίων πάλιν ἀνδρῶν.
Athous 11:7b: ἄγε ἴωμεν, ὦ φίλοι, αὖ πάλιν ἐπὶ τὴν Ἰουδαίων γῆν.
Jn 11:21b: Κύριε, εἰ ἦς ὧδε, ὁ ἀδελφός μου οὐκ ἂν ἐτεθνήκει.
Nonnos 11:21b: ὦ μάκαρ, εἰ παρέης, ὅτε Λάζαρος αἴθετο νούσῳ, οὐκ ἂν ἐμὸς τέθνηκεν ἀδελφέος.
Athous 11:21b: Ἀλλ' ὦ ἀθάνατε Κύριε, εἴπερ ἐτύγχανες παρὼν τῷ Λαζάρῳ καταφλεφομένῳ ὑπὸ τῆς νόσου, οὐκ ἂν ἐτεθνήκει οὑμὸς ἀδελφός.
Jn 11:26a: ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ, κἂν ἀποθάνῃ, ζήσεται.
Nonnos 11:26a: ὃς δέ κεν ἀνὴρ εἰς ἐμὲ πιστεύσειε, καὶ εἰ νέκυς ἄπνοος εἴη, αὖτις ἀναζήσειε.
Athous 11:26a: Ὅστις τοίνυν τῶν ἀνδρῶν πεπιστευκὼς εἰς ἐμέ, καὶ εἰ τεθναίη, αὖ πάλιν ἀναζήσεται.
Jn 11:34: καὶ εἶπε, Ποῦ τεθείκατε αὐτόν; λέγουσιν αὐτῷ, Κύριε, ἔρχου καὶ ἴδε.
Nonnos 11:34: δείξατέ μοι, πόθι κεῖνον ἐθήκατε. καὶ φάσαν αὐτῷ, ἔρχεο καὶ σκοπίαζε.
Athous 11:34: ἔλεξε πρὸς αὐτούς, Ποῦ ποτε αὐτὸν ἐθήκασθε, σὺν τάχει ἐπιδείξασθέ μοι. αὐτῶν δ' αὐτῷ φαμένων, Παραγίνου κατοψόμενος.
Jn 11:35: ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς.
Nonnos 11:35: ...καὶ ἔστενεν αὐτὸς Ἰησοῦς
ὄμμασιν ἀκλαύτοισιν ἀήθεα δάκρυα λείβων.
Athous 11:35: ἀναστενάξας ὁ Ἰησοῦς ἐπεδάκρυσεν.
Jn 11:41b: Πάτερ, εὐχαριστῶ σοι ὅτι ἤκουσάς μου.
Nonnos 11:41b:σοὶ χάρις, ὡς ἐμέθεν πάτερ ἔκλυες
Athous 11:41b: χάριτάς σοι ἀνομολογῶ, λέγων, ὦ πάτερ, ἐμοῦ κατακούσαντι.
Reading an L2 paraphrase of an L2 paraphrase of an L2 original creates the re-enforcing language loop that Chad says springs from mono-lingual resources, in this case times two.

If anyone can track down links to the other chapters, I would appreciate it. Its unclear to me whether Zumbo ever produced the full edition.
Last edited by Markos on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: the Athous paraphrase of Nonnos

Post by mwh »

Wrong. I love Homer but do not like Nonnos. I can’t say I exactly love the 4th gospel but I infinitely prefer it to any paraphrase.

Nonnos’ “paraphrase” is composed in metrically refined hexameters, interesting for those interested in late epic. The Athos manuscript gives a prose paraphrase of that. To be sure, you can learn quite a lot by comparing them with John and with each other (not least the difference between prose and verse), but it’s faintly ridiculous to talk of creating a “re-enforcing language loop.”