Matthew 26:18

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Matthew 26:18

Post by Isaac Newton »

ὁ δὲ εἶπεν Ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν πρὸς τὸν δεῖνα καὶ εἴπατε αὐτῷ Ὁ Διδάσκαλος λέγει Ὁ καιρός μου ἐγγύς ἐστιν πρὸς σὲ. ποιῶ τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου.
I think πρὸς σὲ goes with ἐστιν rather than with ποιῶ . So I would translate as follows:
He said, Go into the city to an acquaintance and tell him, The Teacher says, My appointment with you is near . I will observe the Passover with my disciples .
I've tried reading it the other way but it doesn't make sense to me:
He said, Go into the city to an acquaintance and tell him, The Teacher says, My hour is near. With you I will observe the Passover with my disciples .
It renders both sentences unintelligible, especially the second one. I can't honestly bring myself to translate πρὸς σὲ as "at your house/place."

Any thoughts ?
Οὐαὶ οἱ λέγοντες τὸ πονηρὸν καλὸν καὶ τὸ καλὸν πονηρόν, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ σκότος φῶς καὶ τὸ φῶς σκότος, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ πικρὸν γλυκὺ καὶ τὸ γλυκὺ πικρόν

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Matthew 26:18

Post by jeidsath »

I almost feel like we have to read in a verb of motion. Notice the parallel to Exodus 12:48:

προσέλθῃ πρὸς ὑμᾶς ποιῆσαι τὸ πασχα

I've snipped some words -- it's talking about a proselyte coming to celebrate Passover with them.

It's interesting to me that Mark and Luke have the miraculous version of this story, while Matthew makes it into a pre-arranged meeting.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jeidsath wrote:I almost feel like we have to read in a verb of motion. Notice the parallel to Exodus 12:48:

προσέλθῃ πρὸς ὑμᾶς ποιῆσαι τὸ πασχα

I've snipped some words -- it's talking about a proselyte coming to celebrate Passover with them.

It's interesting to me that Mark and Luke have the miraculous version of this story, while Matthew makes it into a pre-arranged meeting.
If we assume an action verb we will get the following:
Ὁ Διδάσκαλος λέγει Ὁ καιρός μου ἐγγύς ἐστιν· [προσέρχομαι] πρὸς σὲ ποιῶ τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου.

It still doesn't make sense on account of ποιῶ which we would then need to change to the infinitive ( ποιῆσαι or an equivalent).
Οὐαὶ οἱ λέγοντες τὸ πονηρὸν καλὸν καὶ τὸ καλὸν πονηρόν, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ σκότος φῶς καὶ τὸ φῶς σκότος, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ πικρὸν γλυκὺ καὶ τὸ γλυκὺ πικρόν

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

My thought was ἐλθὼν instead of a finite verb. I could be wrong, of course.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

No Joel you're right. It’s known as a “pregnant” construction. The motion implied by the prepositional phrase precedes the action of the main verb. Cf. e.g. Mk.13.9 εις συναγωγας δαρησεσθε.

τον δεινα is very curious.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

mwh wrote:No Joel you're right. It’s known as a “pregnant” construction. The motion implied by the prepositional phrase precedes the action of the main verb. Cf. e.g. Mk.13.9 εις συναγωγας δαρησεσθε.

τον δεινα is very curious.
It seems to me to be the equivalent of παρὰ σοί, apud te in Latin (which is precisely how Jerome rendered it). However, I'm curious about your curiosity. Do you meant that the usage of word itself is curious, or that's its presence in the narrative is curious?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jeidsath wrote:My thought was ἐλθὼν instead of a finite verb. I could be wrong, of course.
Interesting. Does Gospel of Matthew assume a participle anywhere else ? It would strengthen your case if you can show precedent.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
It seems to me to be the equivalent of παρὰ σοί, apud te in Latin (which is precisely how Jerome rendered it). However, I'm curious about your curiosity. Do you meant that the usage of word itself is curious, or that's its presence in the narrative is curious?

The difference is that in Latin that's a well attested idiom for "at your house." The same is true of the French preposition chez for example, as in "to the house of." Hence chez moi -- at my house, chez lui -- at his house, chez le boucher -- at the butcher's shop, etc.

When does the Greek πρὸς ever function like this to mean "-- house of" in the GNT, and indeed in Koine literature ?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Mk: καὶ τῇ πρώτῃ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν ἀζύμων
Mt: τῇ δὲ πρώτῃ τῶν ἀζύμων

Mk: ὅτε τὸ πάσχα ἔθυον
Mt: <snip>

Mk: λέγουσιν αὐτῷ οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ
Mt: προσῆλθον οἱ μαθηταὶ τῷ Ἰησοῦ λέγοντες

Mk: ποῦ θέλεις ἀπελθόντες ἑτοιμάσωμεν ἵνα φάγῃς τὸ πάσχα
Mt: ποῦ θέλεις ἑτοιμάσωμέν σοι φαγεῖν τὸ πάσχα

Mk: καὶ ἀποστέλλει δύο τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ

Mk: καὶ λέγει αὐτοῖς
Mt: ὁ δὲ εἶπεν

Mk: ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν
Mt: ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν

Mk: καὶ ἀπαντήσει ὑμῖν ἄνθρωπος κεράμιον ὕδατος βαστάζων ἀκολουθήσατε αὐτῷ καὶ ὅπου ἐὰν εἰσέλθῃ
Mt: πρὸς τὸν δεῖνα

Mk: εἴπατε τῷ οἰκοδεσπότῃ
Mt: καὶ εἴπατε αὐτῷ

Mk: ὅτι ὁ διδάσκαλος λέγει
Mt: ὁ διδάσκαλος λέγει

Mk: ποῦ ἐστὶν τὸ κατάλυμά μου ὅπου τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου φάγω καὶ αὐτὸς ὑμῖν δείξει ἀνάγαιον μέγα ἐστρωμένον ἕτοιμον καὶ ἐκεῖ ἑτοιμάσατε ἡμῖν

Mk:
Mt: Ὁ καιρός μου ἐγγύς ἐστιν· πρὸς σὲ ποιῶ τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου.

Mk: καὶ ἐξῆλθον οἱ μαθηταὶ καὶ ἦλθον εἰς τὴν πόλιν καὶ εὗρον καθὼς εἶπεν αὐτοῖς,
Mt: καὶ ἐποίησαν οἱ μαθηταὶ ὡς συνέταξεν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς

Mk: καὶ ἡτοίμασαν τὸ πάσχα
Mt: καὶ ἡτοίμασαν τὸ πάσχα

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jeidsath wrote:Mk: καὶ τῇ πρώτῃ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν ἀζύμων
Mt: τῇ δὲ πρώτῃ τῶν ἀζύμων

Mk: ὅτε τὸ πάσχα ἔθυον

Mk: λέγουσιν αὐτῷ οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ
Mt: προσῆλθον οἱ μαθηταὶ τῷ Ἰησοῦ λέγοντες

Mk: ποῦ θέλεις ἀπελθόντες ἑτοιμάσωμεν ἵνα φάγῃς τὸ πάσχα
Mt: ποῦ θέλεις ἑτοιμάσωμέν σοι φαγεῖν τὸ πάσχα

Mk: καὶ ἀποστέλλει δύο τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ

Mk: καὶ λέγει αὐτοῖς
Mt: ὁ δὲ εἶπεν

Mk: ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν
Mt: ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν

Mk: καὶ ἀπαντήσει ὑμῖν ἄνθρωπος κεράμιον ὕδατος βαστάζων ἀκολουθήσατε αὐτῷ καὶ ὅπου ἐὰν εἰσέλθῃ

Mk: εἴπατε τῷ οἰκοδεσπότῃ
Mt: καὶ εἴπατε αὐτῷ

Mk: ὅτι ὁ διδάσκαλος λέγει
Mt: ὁ διδάσκαλος λέγει

Mk: ποῦ ἐστὶν τὸ κατάλυμά μου ὅπου τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου φάγω καὶ αὐτὸς ὑμῖν δείξει ἀνάγαιον μέγα ἐστρωμένον ἕτοιμον καὶ ἐκεῖ ἑτοιμάσατε ἡμῖν

Mk:
Mt: Ὁ καιρός μου ἐγγύς ἐστιν· πρὸς σὲ ποιῶ τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου.

Mk: καὶ ἐξῆλθον οἱ μαθηταὶ καὶ ἦλθον εἰς τὴν πόλιν καὶ εὗρον καθὼς εἶπεν αὐτοῖς,
Mt: καὶ ἐποίησαν οἱ μαθηταὶ ὡς συνέταξεν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς

Mk: καὶ ἡτοίμασαν τὸ πάσχα
Mt: καὶ ἡτοίμασαν τὸ πάσχα

Should I ask what is the point of all these citations ?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I wouldn't call that a bunch of citations. It's the story that we're looking at now, with the parallel Mark story interleaved.

If Matthew were working from Mark here, or a similar source, then it may tell us about his thought process when he wrote down πρoϲτoνδεινα and προϲϲε.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jeidsath wrote:I wouldn't call that a bunch of citations. It's the story that we're looking at now, with the parallel Mark story interleaved.

If Matthew were working from Mark here, or a similar source, then it may tell us about his thought process when he wrote down πρoϲτoνδεινα and προϲϲε.
O.K...

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

jeidsath wrote:I wouldn't call that a bunch of citations. It's the story that we're looking at now, with the parallel Mark story interleaved.

Not a bad methodology, assuming Marcan priority. Do you have any conclusions or insights derived from this so far?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:It seems to me to be the equivalent of παρὰ σοί, apud te in Latin (which is precisely how Jerome rendered it). However, I'm curious about your curiosity. Do you meant that the usage of word itself is curious, or that's its presence in the narrative is curious?
προς σέ ~ παρα σοί: yes undoubtedly but the fact that it’s the one and not the other needed to be explained.
τον δεῖνα: Both. This is probably not the best place to discuss but I trust you’ll agree it’s very odd (all the more so if Mark came first, but that's by the way). I haven’t looked up Jerome.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Could this be an outline for some early liturgy/passion play, one that would use the participant's name? (Perhaps the name of whoever was hosting the communion meal.)

But, more prosaically, what's wrong with understanding δεῖνα as a particular person that Jesus had in mind, but whose name the Gospeler did not know or choose not to report. "Go into the city, to so-and-so."

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

mwh wrote:προς σέ ~ παρα σοί: yes undoubtedly but the fact that it’s the one and not the other needed to be explained.

τον δεῖνα: Both. This is probably not the best place to discuss but I trust you’ll agree it’s very odd (all the more so if Mark came first, but that's by the way). I haven’t looked up Jerome.
Jerome:

At Jesus dixit: Ite in civitatem ad quemdam, et dicite ei: Magister dicit: Tempus meum prope est, apud te facio Pascha cum discipulis meis.

Not so sure that I agree, but I'd like to see you unpack it. As a general principle, although Matthew has more material overall, he tends to be more sparse in his recounting of the same events that Mark also reports, and I've always looked at this as just such an example. But if you have another explanation I'd love to hear it.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Had the author of Matthew wanted to say "I will eat the Passover meal with my disciples at your house" he would have written something along the following lines: ποιῶ τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου

ref:
οὐδὲ καίουσιν λύχνον καὶ τιθέασιν αὐτὸν ὑπὸ τὸν μόδιον, ἀλλ’ ἐπὶ τὴν λυχνίαν, καὶ λάμπει πᾶσιν τοῖς ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ.

Matthew 5:15

καὶ ἐσκανδαλίζοντο ἐν αὐτῷ. ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν αὐτοῖς Οὐκ ἔστιν προφήτης ἄτιμος εἰ μὴ ἐν τῇ πατρίδι καὶ ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ αὐτοῦ.

Matthew 13:57

etc..

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Jerome:

At Jesus dixit: Ite in civitatem ad quemdam, et dicite ei: Magister dicit: Tempus meum prope est, apud te facio Pascha cum discipulis meis.

Not so sure that I agree, but I'd like to see you unpack it. As a general principle, although Matthew has more material overall, he tends to be more sparse in his recounting of the same events that Mark also reports, and I've always looked at this as just such an example. But if you have another explanation I'd love to hear it.
Jerome is unreliable in matters pertaining to Greek grammar and translation. For instance even though the Latin versions of his day as a rule rendered μονογενὴς as "unicus" / "only" he translated the term as "unigenitus' / "only-begotten" only in the six verses where it refers to Jesus, retaining the Latin "unicus" for when the word does not refer to Jesus.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

jeidsath wrote:But, more prosaically, what's wrong with understanding δεῖνα as a particular person that Jesus had in mind, but whose name the Gospeler did not know or choose not to report. "Go into the city, to so-and-so."
The problem with that is that the Gospeler presents the words as Jesus’ own.

Jerome’s ad quemdam (thanks Barry) is fudge. It doesn’t really correspond to προς τον δεινα (it’s not προς ανθρωπόν τινα), which should mean something more like jeidsath’s “to so-and-so.” Do you have an explanation Barry?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

mwh wrote:
jeidsath wrote:But, more prosaically, what's wrong with understanding δεῖνα as a particular person that Jesus had in mind, but whose name the Gospeler did not know or choose not to report. "Go into the city, to so-and-so."
The problem with that is that the Gospeler presents the words as Jesus’ own.

Jerome’s ad quemdam (thanks Barry) is fudge. It doesn’t really correspond to προς τον δεινα (it’s not προς ανθρωπόν τινα), which should mean something more like jeidsath’s “to so-and-so.” Do you have an explanation Barry?
quīdam, quaedam, quoddam, and subst. quiddam, pron. indef., a certain, a certain one, somebody, something

Lewis, C. T., & Short, C. (1891). Harpers’ Latin Dictionary (p. 1511). New York; Oxford: Harper & Brothers; Clarendon Press.

δεῖνα , ὁ, ἡ, τό (Thu., Aristoph. et al.; pap, Aq., Sym.) a pers. or thing one cannot or does not wish to name, so-and-so, somebody, in our lit. only masc. a certain man Mt 26:18.

Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., p. 215). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Coming up with an alternate suggestion as to how the writer might have expressed the concept does not mean that what Jerome rendered was a "fudge." It appears to me to be an adequate rendering. δεῖνα might be an Atticism, but it also appears not infrequently in the papyri.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Isaac Newton wrote:
Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Jerome:

Jerome is unreliable in matters pertaining to Greek grammar and translation. For instance even though the Latin versions of his day as a rule rendered μονογενὴς as "unicus" / "only" he translated the term as "unigenitus' / "only-begotten" only in the six verses where it refers to Jesus, retaining the Latin "unicus" for when the word does not refer to Jesus.
Did you not admit on CARM that you have never studied Latin? That we may criticize a translator at one point does not mean that he fails at all points. Jerome's translation methodology is so literal for the NT that retroverting it to the Greek he used is fairly easy. Do you have any other examples of his "unrealiability?"
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Barry,

I think that one example is sufficient.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

I searched up all of the verses where πρὸς σὲ is used in the GNT:
Matthew 14:28 , 25:39, Mark 9:17 , Luke 1:19, 7:7, 7:20,12:58,17:4,John 17:11,17:13,21:22,21:23,Acts 10:33,11:4,21:37,23:18,23:30,1 Timothy 3:14 ,Titus 3:12,
It just isn't ever an idiom for "at you home/abode/place." I wager that the same is true in the entire corpus of [standard] koine literature.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I took so-and-so from the LSJ gloss rather than looking up the usage. To correct that, here is Aristophanes:
τίς ἔστ’ ἀνήρ σοι;
τὸν ἐμὸν ἄνδρα πυνθάνει;
τὸν δεῖνα γιγνώσκεις, τὸν ἐκ Κοθωκιδῶν;
τὸν δεῖνα; ποῖον;
ἔσθ’ ὁ δεῖν’, ὃς καί ποτε
τὸν δεῖνα τὸν τοῦ δεῖνα—
ληρεῖν μοι δοκεῖς.
If so-and-so is dismissed as a fudge, then I'd suggest that τὸν δεῖνα would make a lot more sense if the particulars of the Mark story were part of this story:
καὶ ἀπαντήσει ὑμῖν ἄνθρωπος κεράμιον ὕδατος βαστάζων ἀκολουθήσατε αὐτῷ καὶ ὅπου ἐὰν εἰσέλθῃ εἴπατε τῷ οἰκοδεσπότῃ
Wouldn't that random οἰκοδεσπότης be reasonably referred to by Jesus as ὁ δεῖνα? Either this information would have been in the Matthew story at some point and was lost in transmission, or Matthew was thinking of it when he wrote down the story (and thought that he written something that he hadn't, Goodacre's "editorial fatigue").

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Joel, it was ad quemdam I called fudge, not so-and-so, which I approved. It suits that classic Aristoph passage well. Your two competing suggestions—transmissional defectiveness, or the writer's thinking he’d written something he hadn’t—at least serve to show up the difficulty of προς τον δεινα here. I won’t echo Kleisthenes’ ληρειν μοι δοκεις.

Barry, Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should have told you I know what quidam and ὁ δεῖνα mean.
And perhaps you should have been warned about Isaac Newton, who has a certain notoriety on this board. You may care to look at earlier threads. Standard practice here now is to ignore him, for to engage with him is folly. It was foolish of me to post here, which I only did for jeidsath’s sake.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

mwh wrote:Joel, it was ad quemdam I called fudge, not so-and-so, which I approved. It suits that classic Aristoph passage well. Your two competing suggestions—transmissional defectiveness, or the writer's thinking he’d written something he hadn’t—at least serve to show up the difficulty of προς τον δεινα here. I won’t echo Kleisthenes’ ληρειν μοι δοκεις.

Barry, Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should have told you I know what quidam and ὁ δεῖνα mean.
And perhaps you should have been warned about Isaac Newton, who has a certain notoriety on this board. You may care to look at earlier threads. Standard practice here now is to ignore him, for to engage with him is folly. It was foolish of me to post here, which I only did for jeidsath’s sake.
I apologize if I created the impression that I thought you didn't know what they meant. Such was not my intent. I was simply supplying the lexical information for visual comparison, toward suggesting that quidam was an adequate if not exactly precise rendering of δεῖνα. And yes, well aware of the above mentioned individuals notoriety.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

I don't think the man carrying the pitcher of water and the unnamed acquaintance (τὸν δεῖνα) are the same individual. Otherwise Mark 14:14 would have written αὐτῷ rather than τῷ οἰκοδεσπότῃ (bold below):
καὶ ὅπου ἐὰν εἰσέλθῃ εἴπατε τῷ οἰκοδεσπότῃ ὅτι Ὁ Διδάσκαλος λέγει Ποῦ ἐστιν τὸ κατάλυμά μου, ὅπου τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου φάγω;

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Isaac -- Yes, I agree.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

I found the following to be humorous (but at the same time sad) about what passes for scholarship in some circles these days.. Concerning Matthew 26:18 this is what was written by a poster ( who shall only be identified as "J") :

I love that Spanish, like English, does not have a preposition with the meaning. Therefore, whereas in French, it says chez toi ("at your house"), in Spanish it literally says en tu casa ("at your house"). That's what has to be done in English, too. In German, it says bei dir ("at your house"). Portuguese, like Spanish and English, lacks the preposition and says na sua casa ("at your house"). I assume that Italian da te is like French chez toi (and Greek πρὸς σέ).
Alas.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I'm afraid that's the closing bell for this thread.