Is ψευδομαι also deponent in its participle? (Matthew 5:11)

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
ktm5124
Textkit Neophyte

Is ψευδομαι also deponent in its participle? (Matthew 5:11)

Post by ktm5124 »

I just read Matthew 5:11, and I have a question about the deponent verb ψευδομαι ("to lie or deceive").
μακάριοί ἐστε ὅταν ὀνειδίσωσιν ὑμᾶς καὶ διώξωσι καὶ εἴπωσι πᾶν πονηρὸν ῥῆμα καθ᾿ ὑμῶν ψευδόμενοι ἕνεκεν ἐμοῦ.

(My translation) Blessed are you when they may reproach you, and persecute you, and say every bad word against you, lying, on account of me.
The verse uses the present middle/passive participle, ψευδόμενοι, to mean "lying" or "deceiving". But since the meaning is active, I would have expected the participle to use the active voice.

If a verb is deponent, does that mean its participle is deponent too?

Perhaps I am mistaken, and the meaning is really "lying for themselves", in which case the middle voice is appropriate. Either way, I would be happy to hear your thoughts. Excited to make my first post here.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Is ψευδομαι also deponent in its participle? (Matthew 5:

Post by bedwere »

ktm5124 wrote:I

Perhaps I am mistaken, and the meaning is really "lying for themselves", in which case the middle voice is appropriate. Either way, I would be happy to hear your thoughts. Excited to make my first post here.
Yes, it's deponent and you would use a deponent participle. There is also the active form ψεύδω, but it's rarer.

ktm5124
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Is ψευδομαι also deponent in its participle? (Matthew 5:

Post by ktm5124 »

bedwere wrote:
ktm5124 wrote:I

Yes, it's deponent and you would use a deponent participle. There is also the active form ψεύδω, but it's rarer.
I see. Thanks!