Edition for NT Apocrypha?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Edition for NT Apocrypha?

Post by anphph »

Does anyone know if there is a standard edition with the NT Apocrypha in general use? I would be thinking about something close to this and this, except containing the original texts instead of translations. I did a few searches, and nothing conclusive seemed to appear. Yet it seems to me like the kind of thing that probably exists, so I'm asking here.

Thanks!

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Re: Edition for NT Apocrypha?

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

anphph wrote:Does anyone know if there is a standard edition with the NT Apocrypha in general use? I would be thinking about something close to this and this, except containing the original texts instead of translations. I did a few searches, and nothing conclusive seemed to appear. Yet it seems to me like the kind of thing that probably exists, so I'm asking here.

Thanks!
Well if you are looking for everything including critical texts I don't think it exists in english anyway. Both Ehrman - Pleše (2011) and Bernhard (2006) claim that such a work did not exist and neither of their works cover the total scope or meet all the critical requirements. Ehrman - Pleše presentation of the text is a mixed bag. It is often difficult to know when you are looking at a restored portion of the text. Their book doesn't include apocalyptic works or acts, only "gospel" material very loosely defined. Bernhard (2006) has the right features but very limited scope: Greek (only) "parts of long-lost early Christian gospels."

Bentley Layton translations only of Gnostic scriptures
Title: The Gnostic scriptures
a new translation with annotations and introductions
Statement of Responsibility: by Bentley Layton
Edition: 1st paperback ed
Publisher: New York : Doubleday, 1995, c1987
Branch Call Number: 273.1 GNO
BT1390 .G494 1995
Characteristics: xlii, 530 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm

Bart D. Ehrman and Zlatko Pleše, NOT CRITICAL TEXTS, but Greek and Coptic (restored texts) excludes most of the Nag Hammadi library, except Gsp Thomas.
Title: The Apocryphal Gospels
texts and translations
Statement of Responsibility: Bart D. Ehrman and Zlatko Pleše
Publisher: New York : Oxford University Press, c2011
Branch Call Number: 229.8 APO
Characteristics: xii, 611 p. ; 25 cm
Language Note: Coptic, Greek, or Latin, with English translation on facing pages
Contents: Infancy Gospels
Ministry Gospels
Sayings Gospels and agrapha
Passion, Resurrection, and post-Resurrection Gospels
Subject Headings: Apocryphal books (New Testament) (DLC)496031 Apocryphal Gospels. (DLC)559077
Topical Term: Apocryphal books (New Testament)
Apocryphal Gospels
Additional Contributors: Pleše, Zlatko
Ehrman, Bart D.
ISBN: 0199732108
Bibliography: Includes bibliographical references
LCCN: 2011012770
Andrew Bernhard: Critical texts Greek only and restored Greek texts with translation and plates some readable some not:
Title: Other early Christian gospels : a critical edition of the surviving Greek manuscripts
Author: Andrew Bernhard
Subjects: Apocryphal Gospels
Description: The Gospel of Thomas -- The Gospel of Peter -- Egerton Papyrus 2: The unknown Gospel -- Other unidentified Gospel fragments.
"'Other Early Christian Gospels' collects into a single volume all the recently recovered Greek manuscripts containing parts of long-lost early Christian gospels. It includes new critical editions, English translations and exhaustive indexes of the Greek fragments of the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Peter, the Egerton Gospel and six other unidentified gospels..." -- back cover.
Text in English and Greek.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 128-133) and indexes.
Related Titles: Series: T & T Clark library of biblical studies.; Library of New Testament studies ; 315.; Library of New Testament studies. Studies in New Testament Greek.
Publisher: London ; New York : T & T Clark
Creation Date: ©2006
Format: xiv, 157, 31 pages of plates : facsimiles ; 25 cm.
Language: English;Greek
Identifier: ISBN: 0567042049 ;ISBN: 9780567042040
OCLC Number: 64960018
Alma IZ record number: 99118881180101847
Alma NZ record number: 99150266230001451
Local notes: nv
C. Stirling Bartholomew

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Edition for NT Apocrypha?

Post by anphph »

Thank you. I think that, all things considered, the Ehrman - Pleše (2011) is probably the closest to what I was looking for. Do you know of anything for the Apocryphal Acts? Where does one go to read that? It doesn't necessarily have to include a translation, I'm just unfamiliar with even the basic go-to editions (as one would go for, eg, Teubner or OCT for critical editions of Classical texts, or the Corpus Christianorum for Medieval productions).

Thank you very much once again for your help.