Seeking NT in modern Greek pronunciation

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
mwh
Textkit Zealot

Seeking NT in modern Greek pronunciation

Post by mwh »

I seem to remember a thread—probably on this board but maybe on Learning Greek or some other—in which someone provided a link to a very attractive reading of the NT by a Greek. Can anyone refer me to it? I want to see how well I follow without looking at the text.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Seeking NT in modern Greek pronunciation

Post by jeidsath »

Spiros Zodhiates is the best, I think. I can share it with you if you drop me an email. I've spent a number of hours listening to him. The Holy Bible iPhone app recording is free, and easy to navigate, but not as good.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Thanks to you both. What I was really after was the entire NT read by a single Greek in his or her ordinary speaking voice at ordinary speaking speed and as if it was not The Holy Bible (which tends to a certain style of delivery), so that I could compare comprehensibility of the various books. Too much to ask, but I think I’m all set now. I wish I could remember where that textkit post was, though, unless I imagined the whole thing.

Thanks again.

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

Have you tried the search engine of the Textkit? I was wondering myself what might be apt search criteria, but haven't come up with anything conclusive so far. "Pronunciation", "modern" may be too vague, but I haven't tried them.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Thanks Timothée. I did do a little textkit searching before posting my query but not very diligently. I expect I misremembered anyway. Never mind, it’s of no consequence.

No more suggestions please, unless they meet my specifications, which seems unlikely. But I do appreciate all the posts.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Let's Read Greek has a number of detailed ratings of Greek NT audio. The site is down at the moment, but here is the archive link.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160223213 ... taudio.htm

However, I am very surprised that Zodhiates didn't meet your requirements. There's also Pella Ikonomaki from Librivox, she's a bit slower and more monotone (links on the above page).
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Sofronios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sofronios »

Hi

how about this?
http://www.bible.is/GRKEPT/Matt/1/N

a latin teacher on the web suggest this, so also contains many language like latin
ὁ δὲ εἶπε· πῶς γὰρ ἂν δυναίμην, ἐὰν μή τις ὁδηγήσῃ με;
Qui ait : Et quomodo possum, si non aliquis ostenderit mihi ?

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Sofronios, many thanks. That fits the bill very nicely. Apologies for not acknowledging sooner. I’ve been away from Textkit this week.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

The Bible.is Latin audio is a lot of fun, and it's how I'm learning Latin.

Apostolos Vavilis does the Greek reading that Sofronios links too. He has his own website that includes reading from the entire Bible (New and Old Testament) in Modern Greek, as well as the Psalms in the Septuagint version:

http://www.vivlos.net/psalmoi.html

I tend to notice that in his reading of the modern version, the syllables sound more light and musical.

FauxKneeBologna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by FauxKneeBologna »

jeidsath wrote:Let's Read Greek has a number of detailed ratings of Greek NT audio. The site is down at the moment, but here is the archive link.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160223213 ... taudio.htm

However, I am very surprised that Zodhiates didn't meet your requirements. There's also Pella Ikonomaki from Librivox, she's a bit slower and more monotone (links on the above page).
Can you link to Zodhiates?

Also, does he read from a modern Greek translation, the Byzantine text...?

brainout
Textkit Neophyte

Post by brainout »

Mine is from Christian Duplications International, copyright 1996 by Spoken Word of God, Inc. It's in a casset box, just says Greek New Testament. Greek says He Kaine Diatheke se kassetta

I bought it years ago but never used it, as I wanted the ancient Greek pronunciation. 13 cassettes, entire NT.

I think I got mine at a seminary in Deerfield, IL but maybe I got it through Amazon, click here. That link is exactly the same 'picture' as on mine, so maybe I bought it there, but it's a later edition than mine. But it's not available right now, oh dear.

Here's the full search list.

Okay: there's a Fed Ex retail store near me, so I can take mine there to hold for you. If you really need it, I can give it to you (I don't want money for it), then give you their number and you can arrange to have it delivered to you? I don't know what else to do.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

This is in my opinion the best recording of the NT in MG pronunciation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 08671D260F The reading speed is perfect: not rushed, and not pedantically slow. It feels like natural conversation. It's not robotic and it's not overly expressive.

brainout
Textkit Neophyte

Post by brainout »

Thank you for that. It sounds like what I have, and is handsome. However, my concern is with syllable counts, as the Bible whether in Hebrew or Greek is metered by syllable counts in sets of sevens, and modern pronunciation doesn't help.

Scholars don't know about the meter, though since Robert Lowth in 1752, they have long speculated about it. I found the sevening meter by accident in 2008.

Basically, syllable counts are used to dateline the text, to validate the text (which was orally memorized), to cross reference other Bible text, and to time a passage for history/prophecy. I've been documenting this for 8 years, details in my @brainouty profile on twitter.

Thank you, though. It's a great pronunciation to hear.
calvinist wrote:This is in my opinion the best recording of the NT in MG pronunciation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 08671D260F The reading speed is perfect: not rushed, and not pedantically slow. It feels like natural conversation. It's not robotic and it's not overly expressive.