Galatians 4:4 - how to tell what hypo should mean?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
TruthSurge
Textkit Neophyte

Galatians 4:4 - how to tell what hypo should mean?

Post by TruthSurge »

I'm in no way very knowledgeable ref Koine Greek but I want to ask this question: when I see a word like "hypo" in a passage, how could I determine by examining the actual text (say by reading P46 folios, for example) that hypo should be rendered as "under" or whether it is best rendered as "by" or some other word?

The issue is that I know for a fact many translations are using not only immediate context but their own beliefs about what this or that means or says.

I just want to know how I could determine what options are actually valid for "hypo" in Galatians 4:4 for example. Some instances of hypo in Galatians say "under" and some say "by" so if both are rendered as ypo in the text, how then do I know what the valid definitions could be? Reason is, I am wondering if "under" is NOT the best translation there BUT again, why would the word EK be used a few words earlier then HYPO if he didn't mean under or bound by?

So, I know very little about the actual grammar rules etc but perhaps someone could explain it just in terms of this word and Galatians let's say.

Thanks for any help/feedback.

TS

TruthSurge
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Galatians 4:4 - how to tell what hypo should mean?

Post by TruthSurge »

Nevermind. A week later my post is approved and I have an answer so please do not respond. In fact, I most likely will remove this post or my acct. thanks.
TS