Exodus 21:22

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Exodus 21:22

Post by IreneY »

Hi all,

I recently read on another forum quite a few translations of Ex 21:22.

The one below is the Greek one (up to 22:25 where I encountered the first full stop)

22 ?ὰν δὲ μάχωνται δύο ἄνδ?ες καὶ πατάξωσι γυναῖκα ?ν γαστ?ὶ ἔχουσαν καὶ ?ξέλθῃ τὸ παιδίον α?τῆς μὴ ?ξεικονισμένον, ?πιζήμιον ζημιωθήσεται· καθότι ἂν ?πιβάλῃ ? ἀνὴ? τῆς γυναικός, δώσει μετὰ ἀξιώματος· 23 ?ὰν δὲ ?ξεικονισμένον ᾖ, δώσει ψυχὴν ἀντὶ ψυχῆς, 24 ὀφθαλμὸν ἀντὶ ὀφθαλμοῦ, ὀδόντα ἀντὶ ὀδόντος, χεῖ?α ἀντὶ χει?ός, πόδα ἀντὶ ποδός, 25 κατάκαυμα ἀντὶ κατακαύματος, τ?αῦμα ἀντὶ τ?αύματος, μώλωπα ἀντὶ μώλωπος.

Now two questions:
a) do you think this is a good translation?
b) I understand ?ξεικονισμένον as meaning "fully" formed, looking like a human. Do you think I've got it right?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Exodus 21:22

Post by Bert »

IreneY wrote:

Now two questions:
a) do you think this is a good translation?
Do we think the Greek is a good tranlation of the Hebrew?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Exodus 21:22

Post by modus.irrealis »

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Bert yes, as modus said (thanks modus :) ) there are different translations. Quite different really. Different meaning actually (apart from the "the one who hit will pay the amount etc".

Modus thanks again

gospel777
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gospel777 »

Hi Im do not know Greek so I cannot say nothing about the Greek translation but Im know Hebrew and on Hebrew there is written (this is one good translation) "If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart [from her], and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges [determine].

Exd 21:23 And if [any] mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life"

"woman with child" that is mean on her womb

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Thank you Gospel! So the original is a bit more vague I see and it looks like we've added something there in translation.