Nativity Story.

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Scribo
Global Moderator

Nativity Story.

Post by Scribo »

So I may have mentioned that in my first year of Greek, for the last session or two, we sat and read the nativity story. It was quite a change in that it wasn't classical Greek, I don't think anyone was Christian and it was so unexpected but given the season it was a wonderful departure.

Given Textkit's love of reading threads wouldn't it be nice to go through it? though its actually pretty late in December, from what I remember Luke is massive but Matthew might be more manageable. Or a mixture, I don't know, it would be nice and festive. If this takes off, I suggest Markos lead the group since he obviously is at home with this material.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Nativity Story.

Post by Paul Derouda »

I'm in. I'm not a Christian, but a good story is a good story. Please, Markos!

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Paul Derouda wrote: I'm not a Christian...
οὐδεὶς τέλειός ἐστιν. :lol:
Scribo wrote: I suggest Markos lead the group....
The spirit is willing, but the schedule is weak. :(

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

I think this is a great idea... I could facilitate :)... My greek is certainly not exemplary (hence the term facilitate) like Markos, but my studies have been in koine for a while and I do feel comfortable in the gospels. Since my discussion with Michael has come to a close in the "Byzantine Textform," (if anyone wants to continue in that discussion i'd be happy to ablige) I'll have a bit of time to make posts. I think Luke 2:1-21 would be a great passage to go over. If this sounds good I can open a new thread. I don't want anyone to think that I'm high-jacking this topic.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

That sounds like a good idea. I'm in. I must say I'm not really at home with NT Greek and I don't even remember if I've ever read Matthew in Greek. Since the nativity story is so close to the beginning, probably I've read at least that...

Anyway, I guess Scribo asked Markos because he thought it very unlikely that he could resist the temptation. Markos, this isn't typical of you! :)

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

If uberdwayne agrees to"facilitate" I could field questions about syntax and lexical semantics.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Paul Derouda wrote:That sounds like a good idea. I'm in.
C.S. Bartholomew wrote:If uberdwayne agrees to "facilitate" I could field questions about syntax and lexical semantics.
Great! I am currently at work, but when I get home I will start our new thread! :D

Markos.... You have failed us! But feel free to join in anyway! :lol:
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ