Textkit Logo

morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Postby kingbenlucas » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am

Hey,

Mounce lists this verb as being aor act subj 3 sg. The trouble I'm having is that I can't understand why that's the case! I have looked through 'morphology of biblical greek' but am left none the wiser. If anyone is able to explain the form I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Benjamin.
kingbenlucas
Textkit Neophyte

Re: morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Postby uberdwayne » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Don't forget that this is a μι verb. Non-indicative moods also do not utilize the augment (initial "ε"). Because its Aorist, and we do not have the initial reduplication either. So it would look something like this with the 3rd singular ending added: δοσι. the "intervocalic sigma" drops out because it doesn't like being between vowels and thus we get δοι. Everywhere else in the NT it appears as "δῳ". it looks as though that "δοι" is a variant spelling of δῳ, which is also Aoirst Active Subjunctive 3s of διδομι.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Postby kingbenlucas » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Thank you for your reply, very helpful indeed.
kingbenlucas
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek