WE ARE STARTING A NEW BEGINNERS' GREEK MACHEN GROUP

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
christophershelt
Textkit Neophyte

WE ARE STARTING A NEW BEGINNERS' GREEK MACHEN GROUP

Post by christophershelt »

To One And All--
A friend of mine and myself are starting a new beginners' Greek group that will follow J. Gresham Machen's, New Testament Greek for Beginners. I have the second edition of this work but my colleague, Kat Doe, has both the first and second editions. There is a photostatic copy of this book available online, which would prove useful, as this old edition I have cost me $50. Kat or myself might be able to scan our editions and send copies of each lesson to any who might be interested.
The format of the group would be as follows: we will each of us read a chapter a week (the lessons are short, but we might make it a chapter every 2 weeks if you would like). After each chapter there are usually 2 sets of exercises: one asking for the translation of words from the Greek to English; and the other one asking for compositions from English to Greek. Kat has an answer key for the first edition. We will settle on which edition to use once we have some response from all of the interested parties.
Once we have prepared our lessons we will meet for an online conference on Yahoo Messenger once a week or every two weeks. (This will require downloading Yahoo Messenger and the fonts that we will use, SPIonic and Palatino Linotype, all of which are free and available online.)
We will then go over each question, one by one: first pasting the question on the screen then, one person at a time, seeing everyone's answers. All questions will be addressed at this time. The session shouldn't take more than an hour or so.
Kat and myself have used this method for learning Greek while we studied a free, online Greek course offered by University of Houston professor emerita, Dora C. Pozzi. It works very well and helps us get help and encouragement while learning a new langauge.
Kat and myself also know of a number of freeware programs that we have downloaded over the years and which we will be glad to share with all who want them. Anyone who is interested can contact myself, Christopher Shelton, or Kat Doe at the following addresses:

christophershelt@bellsouth.net

TuNeCedeMalis@aol.com

We look forward to meeting you.

christophershelt
Textkit Neophyte

Kat's real address

Post by christophershelt »

I misspelled Kat's address. It is:

TuNeCedesMalis67@aol.com