Nestle UBS correspond

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Nestle UBS correspond

Post by Geoff »

I'm trying to examine textual differences from the 23rd and 26th editions. These are the respective texts underlying the NASB and the NASB95. I have a 26th edition and don't have the 23rd. I do however have a UBS second edition and a Nestle 16th. Does the UBS second edition corrrespond to any particular Nestle text the way the UBS 4 and the Nestle 27th correspond?

Is there an online copy of the 23rd edition?

There's probably better places for this question, but this is forum I use so its as good as any (besides korio is here).

Thanks for your help.

JulianJ
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JulianJ »

I do not believe that there is a correspondance between UBS2 and any NA edition. It wasn't until 1979 and NA26 that Kurt Aland took over sole supervision of the NA texts. At that point it started corresponding to the UBS text since he was an editor of that work. The preface to UBS4 does talk about the verious differences between it and earlier versions. Kurt Aland talks a lot about the evolution of the greek text in NA and UBS in his famous book on the subject, The Text of the New Testament an Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Bear in mind that his book was published after UBS3 and before UBS4, if memory serves.

You can also find some comparisons here: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/CriticalEds.html

Hope this helps,
Julian