Textkit Logo

Books on Synonyms

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Books on Synonyms

Postby anakainosis » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:59 pm

Greetings all,

I am looking for a resource that covers synonyms of the Greek NT and LXX. I am aware of R.C. Trench’s book; but are there other more modern works available? Or is that the only one?

Thanks in advance.
anakainosis
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Books on Synonyms

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:50 am

anakainosis wrote:Greetings all,

I am looking for a resource that covers synonyms of the Greek NT and LXX. I am aware of R.C. Trench’s book; but are there other more modern works available? Or is that the only one?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I think there is a newer book available. I'll try to get some info but that won't be right away. Maybe Saturday.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:08 am

I can't find the information I was looking for. I'll post it if I happen to run into it.
Louw and Nida's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains may be of good use to you.
Because it lists the words with other ones in the same semantic domain, it is like a discussion on synonyms.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:45 am

Found it.
Custer, Stewart. A Treasury of New Testament Synonyms.
Greenville, South Carolina: Bob Jones University
Press, 1975. 143 pages. ISBN: 0890840253
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby anakainosis » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:58 pm

Thanks, I will check both sources out. :D
anakainosis
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek