Odd findings with circumflex accents and kappa symbols

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Johny Ze
Textkit Neophyte

Odd findings with circumflex accents and kappa symbols

Post by Johny Ze »

Hello everyone!

Been a long time since my last post but I am getting back into my Greek studies and found an oddity that despite my trundling through the internets, can't seem to find an answer!

1) in my Novum Testamentum Graece the circumflex accents appear to be different than the accents in my Mounce's BBG and Athenaze. Does anyone know the reason for the difference?

2) in A Reader's Greek New Testament, the kappa symbol is actually an "x" symbol, not the same as chi, but nonetheless confusing. Does anyone know the reason for this as well?

Anyway many thanks for your help, and my apologies if these questions have been answered already! I'm so glad to be back into the classical languages!

Jz

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Odd findings with circumflex accents and kappa symbols

Post by NateD26 »

Hi, Jz.

1. Some fonts have the circumflex as tilde character and others have it as an arch.

2. This is a peculiarity of the old fonts, where Kappa very much looks like the English x.
It seems to be so because the default view of such fonts, like SBL Greek, is always italicized.
In those kind of fonts, the Chi would extend downwards, as opposed to sans-serif ones, like Ariel
Unicode Pro, which has its Chi the same as the English x.

Stylistically, to me at least, SBL Greek is more appealing, but I do mistake here and there
the Kappa for a Chi.
Nate.