Textkit Logo

Confusing Lingo

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Confusing Lingo

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:53 pm

Howdy, I found a troubling sentance in one of my greek books. [face=SPIonic] legw ton auton logon [/face]

The translation I attempted did not make any sense. I translated it "I spoke it the word" or "a word"

The book gave me "I say the same word."

Why would that sentance mean that?
Ray
Textkit Neophyte

Postby whiteoctave » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:32 pm

[face=SPIonic]au0toj[/face] placed between the definite article and the noun means 'same'.

~D
whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:50 pm

whiteoctave wrote:[face=SPIonic]au0toj[/face] placed between the definite article and the noun means 'same'.

~D

Thanks, does "[face=SPIonic]au0toj[/face] always mean same when placed between the definite article and noun, or are there exceptions? Also is there any other way to express 'same' other than using [face=SPIonic]au0toj[/face]?
Ray
Textkit Neophyte

Postby callee » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:38 am

I can't think of a text off the top of my head, but I've never met a gk rule yet that did not have exceptions. good luck.
callee
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek