Textkit Logo

Working out the rusty hinges...

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Working out the rusty hinges...

Postby anaballo » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:54 am

Hello all,

I'm glad to have found this wonderful resource. As of late, I've rekindled my interest in Koine Greek, and have been going through an old textbook (An Introduction to New Testament Greek, Huber Drumwright) and was trying to work through an excersise which has stumped me. Here it is...

[face=spionic] profh/thj profh/th| le/gei ei)rh/nhn[/face]

I get that [face=spionic]profh/thj[/face] is Nom Sing. Subject. "Prophet."

The [face=spionic]profh/th|[/face] is Dativ... indirect object (I'm most unsure about this one). Also "prophet."

Of course, [face=spionic]le/gei[/face] is PresActInd 3rd Sing, the verb. "he speaks," or "he is speaking."

Then the [face=spionic]ei)rh/nhn[/face] which looks ACC Sing, Direct object... "Peace."

I can't for the life of me cobble this phrase into an intelligible sentence.
Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
anaballo
Textkit Neophyte

Postby klewlis » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:03 am

I believe you already have it; you just don't know it.

The prophet speaks peace to the (other) prophet.

:)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby anaballo » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:51 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply!
anaballo
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Skylax » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:54 pm

I guess [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nhn[/face] translates simply "shalom", thus "how do you do ?". :wink:
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby klewlis » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:31 pm

Skylax wrote:I guess [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nhn[/face] translates simply "shalom", thus "how do you do ?". :wink:

actually, I don't think that's what's implied. There is kind of a strange thing that goes on when they talk about prophets... it's more like "the message he gave was one about peace". It seems common for a prophet to "speak judgment" or "speak peace", etc.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Skylax » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:13 pm

Hello, klewlis !

A search on the site "The Unbound Bible" did not show any phrase such as [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nhn le/gein[/face]. Most passages show ordinary uses of [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nh[/face], such as "to make peace", "to give peace", "to go in peace",...

[face=SPIonic]profhteu/ein ei)j ei)rh/nhn[/face] (Jeremy 28:9, but 35:9 in the LXX) means "to prophesy peace".

We find also passages where [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nh[/face] makes up phrases meaning "to ask how somebody is doing", namely [face=SPIonic]e)perwta=n[/face] or [face=SPIonic]e)rwta=n tina ei)j ei)rh/nhn[/face] . Here, [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nh[/face] seems to denote the (hoped for) "fair state" of somebody or something :

1 Samuel 10:4 [face=SPIonic]kai\ e)rwth/sousi/ se ta\ ei)j ei)rh/nhn kai\ dw/sousi/ soi du/o a)parxa\j a)/rtwn[/face]
"They will ask you how you are doing and will give you two pieces of bread."

2 Samuel 11:7 [face=SPIonic]e)perw/thsen dauid ei)j ei)rh/nhn Iwab kai\ ei)j ei)rh/nhn tou= laou= kai\ ei)j ei)rh/nhn tou= pole/mou[/face] "David asked (him) for news of Joab and for news of the people and for news of the war."

[face=SPIonic]ei)j ei)rh/nhn tou= pole/mou[/face] : what a phrase !
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby klewlis » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:18 pm

Skylax wrote:Hello, klewlis !

A search on the site "The Unbound Bible" did not show any phrase such as [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nhn le/gein[/face]. Most passages show ordinary uses of [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nh[/face], such as "to make peace", "to give peace", "to go in peace",...

[face=SPIonic]profhteu/ein ei)j ei)rh/nhn[/face] (Jeremy 28:9, but 35:9 in the LXX) means "to prophesy peace".

We find also passages where [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nh[/face] makes up phrases meaning "to ask how somebody is doing", namely [face=SPIonic]e)perwta=n[/face] or [face=SPIonic]e)rwta=n tina ei)j ei)rh/nhn[/face] . Here, [face=SPIonic]ei)rh/nh[/face] seems to denote the (hoped for) "fair state" of somebody or something :

1 Samuel 10:4 [face=SPIonic]kai\ e)rwth/sousi/ se ta\ ei)j ei)rh/nhn kai\ dw/sousi/ soi du/o a)parxa\j a)/rtwn[/face]
"They will ask you how you are doing and will give you two pieces of bread."

2 Samuel 11:7 [face=SPIonic]e)perw/thsen dauid ei)j ei)rh/nhn Iwab kai\ ei)j ei)rh/nhn tou= laou= kai\ ei)j ei)rh/nhn tou= pole/mou[/face] "David asked (him) for news of Joab and for news of the people and for news of the war."

[face=SPIonic]ei)j ei)rh/nhn tou= pole/mou[/face] : what a phrase !

hmmmm... apparently I need to investigate whence I got this notion. :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kopio » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:49 am

I think the most common greeting for Koine would be simply XAREIN....either XAREIN SOI, or XAREIN hUMIN.....that is "grace to you", or in Southern Greek "Grace to y'all" :lol:
Kopio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:44 am

Skylax wrote:[face=SPIonic]ei)j ei)rh/nhn tou= pole/mou[/face] : what a phrase !

Yeah! :? :D :lol: :roll:

Tolstoy should have known this for his book "War and News", er, is it "War and Peace"?
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek