ἀγαπῶ

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

ἀγαπῶ

Post by modus.irrealis »

Hi,

I remember reading somewhere (on the B-Greek list I think) about there being evidence that ἀγαπῶ could be used as a euphemism for something along the lines of "chide" and may have been a Semitism. But I can't find anything anywhere on this now, so does anyone know about this or something that's even vaguely similar, or am I "remembering" things that never happened?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: ἀγαπῶ

Post by jaihare »

modus.irrealis wrote:Hi,

I remember reading somewhere (on the B-Greek list I think) about there being evidence that ἀγαπῶ could be used as a euphemism for something along the lines of "chide" and may have been a Semitism. But I can't find anything anywhere on this now, so does anyone know about this or something that's even vaguely similar, or am I "remembering" things that never happened?
Are thinking of John 21? I've got some opinions about that passage. If you're going there, I'd love to lay them out for you.

Jason

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

jaihare wrote:Are thinking of John 21? I've got some opinions about that passage. If you're going there, I'd love to lay them out for you.
To be honest, I can't remember what it was -- possibly Mark 10:21. It was a very minor thing.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

modus.irrealis wrote:
jaihare wrote:Are thinking of John 21? I've got some opinions about that passage. If you're going there, I'd love to lay them out for you.
To be honest, I can't remember what it was -- possibly Mark 10:21. It was a very minor thing.
ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς ἐμβλέψας αὐτῷ ἠγάπησεν αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ· ἕν σε ὑστερεῖ· ὕπαγε, ὅσα ἔχεις πώλησον καὶ δὸς [τοῖς] πτωχοῖς, καὶ ἕξεις θησαυρὸν ἐν οὐρανῷ, καὶ δεῦρο ἀκολούθει μοι.
And Jesus, having looked upon him, loved him and said to him: "One thing is holding you back - go, whatever you have sell and give to the poor, and you will have a treasure in heaven, and follow me here."

I don't see a reason to think that ἠγάπησεν would mean anything other than "he loved". What gave you a different impression?

This kinda ties with my opinion of John 20 -- that ἀγαπάω is a lower form of love than φιλέω, which is relationship-based. I think ἀγαπάω is more emotion-based and doesn't require any kind of relationship to feel. It's more compassion-type love than love that subsists in a personal connection. It's like saying "Jesus felt something for him" or "had compassion on him".

That's my opinion, anyway.

ἔρρωσο,
Ἰάσων

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

jaihare wrote:I don't see a reason to think that ἠγάπησεν would mean anything other than "he loved". What gave you a different impression?
I really wouldn't have thought of any other possibility if I hadn't thought I had come across something about ἀγαπῶ having another meaning, but that meaning seems to fit the context, if he were gently rebuking the guy for his answer for example.
This kinda ties with my opinion of John 20 -- that ἀγαπάω is a lower form of love than φιλέω, which is relationship-based. I think ἀγαπάω is more emotion-based and doesn't require any kind of relationship to feel. It's more compassion-type love than love that subsists in a personal connection. It's like saying "Jesus felt something for him" or "had compassion on him".
That's an interesting topic, which maybe we can discuss once I get settled down (I'm in the middle of moving). My feeling is that the two words are almost perfect synonyms and the NT was written during a time where ἀγαπῶ was replacing φιλῶ but had not yet done so completely (at least in the sense of love, since φιλῶ survived with the meaning "kiss"), so I'm a little skeptical about trying to make distinctions between the two, though not so skeptical that I couldn't be convinced otherwise.